Storyline 360/Storyline 2 Compatibility

Nov 16, 2016

Hi all,

Just wondering if any details have been released about compatibility between Storyline 360 and Storyline 2? My team is interested in potentially getting a subscription (or two) to 360, but there isn't money in the budget to get one for everyone, which means we'll need to keep Storyline 2 for those who don't get a subscription. Are there any issues with sharing source files between the two apps?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Shawn

10 Replies
Amy Lewis

Storyline 2 cannot read files edited in Storyline 360.

Storyline 360 uses a different file format than Storyline 2.  When you open an SL2 course in SL360, it makes an "SL2 Backup" file and then creates a new file that can be read in SL360, just like it does in the transition from Storyline 1 to 2. So while SL360 can import SL2 files, SL2 cannot read SL360 files.

I would not recommend upgrading only some of your team to SL360 unless you can clearly delineate projects between SL360 users and SL2 users, since you will not be able to share files between SL2 and SL360 computers.

However, each Articulate 360 license allows you to download Storyline onto 2 machines, which means 2 licenses would give you 4 machines (see here https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/install-storyline-360-on-2-computers).  If your team is small this could be enough to upgrade everyone to SL360.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Just to clarify, that's two machines for one user. So a work computer and a home laptop for example. 

If you have questions about the pricing structure Shawn, you'll want to connect with our Success team as they'll be able to walk you through the discounts for current customers and the Teams set up which would allow you to have users accessing Storyline 360 on an as needed basis. 

Hi Joel, 

I see your case #00957341 that has been assigned to Rowie - we're still playing a bit of catch up after the holiday weekend, but I suspect you'll hear from him soon! I did see you mentioned the issue with the icon, the icons may appear as for Storyline 360, but files can still be opened in SL2 if they were not yet updated to Storyline 2. I also saw you were receiving an error message, so I'll let you continue to work on that with Rowie. 

Hi Jon,

Articulate 360 and Storyline 2 are separate purchases and licenses/subscriptions - so although you could download Storyline 2 and run through the trial you'd need to purchase that to use with folks who are still only using Storyline 2. Storyline 360 is not backwards compatible to Storyline 2, so if you're creating content there any colleagues who use Storyline 2 won't be able to open the .story files. 

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Amandine and welcome to E-Learning Heroes!

You will be able to upgrade/edit your SL2 files to SL360. The reverse will not be true, however, and you cannot edit any file created or edited within SL360 in SL2. Hopefully that clarifies :)

Also, as mentioned above, when you upgrade your file to SL360, a backup compatible will be saved for use in SL2 if needed.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.