Storyline 360/Storyline 3 - Bookmarking on LMS

Aug 17, 2017

Hi Guys, 

I am using the current version of Storyline 360 to create a training for one of my major clients (Restaurant Chain).  Of course the current bug is that html 5 is messing up in IE 11 browsers... Since they needed to go live with the course next week and there is no fix for the HTML 5 issue, I had to download the Storyline 3 demo and open and publish from that demo to "fix" the html 5 problem. But another issue that was there on the 360 and now Storyline 3 publish is that the course is not "bookmarking" in their Oracle LMS.  *Meaning they start the course, exit and when they return they have to start over.

Maybe I made a mistake somehow, or maybe it something with the program... but anyone else having these issues? I used Storyline 2 forever with them, and it always worked. Advice??  (thanks in advance for your comments and help!)  :)

42 Replies
Thor Melicher

Here are a couple of things  you can try:

From Storyline
1. From the Player Properties screen, click Other
2. Look at the On restart dropdown and change to Always resume or Prompt to resume

From Oracle LMS
Look to see if there are any settings about resuming.  Perhaps there is a setting similar to Storyline?

Hope that helps -

Thor

Crystal Horn

Hi Elliott!  Thanks for reaching out here.  I saw that you have a support case submitted, and it's in the right hands.

We have prioritized the IE 11 and HTML5 output issue to be fixed, so as soon as we have some news on that, I'll share with you in this discussion as well.

Be on the lookout for an email from our support team.  Thanks again for working with us!

Darlene Pielack

I am experiencing the same issue with bookmarking not working in Storyline 360. Has there been a resolution to this issue and if so what the resolution is? I have to lock down the course, so now they have to view the course in one sitting. That's fine and dandy, but the course is 1 hour 15 minutes. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Darlene,

Thanks for reaching out regarding the issue you're seeing with bookmarking and Storyline 360.

I do not see any further conversation with Elliott regarding the bookmarking/resume feature and this conversation is a bit dated, so I'd like to start new with you so that we can help you out here.

• How do you have your Player Resume set? Prompt to Resume or Always Resume?
  • Are you able to replicate this behavior when testing in SCORM Cloud or is the issue limited to your LMS?
  • Is there a similar environment/browser that you are experiencing this issue with?
Phil McCormick

Testing 360 as well in an Oracle-based LMS. 

We are evaluating to replace or update The current solution, which  bookmarks just fine,

This is obviously important to us, since our courses are quite lengthy and our people are very busy. 

Player has been set both ways.  Using IE 11 v 11.726.16299.0C0

Any updates?

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Phil.  It sounds like you might be having trouble with the resume behavior in Internet Explorer.  Is that right?  Tell me a bit more about what's happening.

The original issue Elliott described has been fixed in an update, so I want to be sure we give you a hand if you're still having a problem!

Phil McCormick

Crystal:

I am evaluating 360 as a possible solution for larger courses, so bookmarking (resume) is necessary.
I set the Resume function in the 'Other' tab, but it did not work.
Is there anything else that needs be done?

What update fixed this issue? I am currently running v 3.21.17083.0

Philip J McCormick
Phil McCormick
Project Manager/ISD
Global Engineering Training | Vehicle Integration
philip.mccormick@gm.com | 586.879-5239

[GET-GM chrome logo]

"Enthusiasm is that temper of the mind in which the imagination has got the better of the judgment" - William Warburton.

Confidentiality Note: This message is intended only for the person to which it is addressed. It may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
Any review, transmission, dissemination or other use, or taking of any action in reliance upon this message by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete it from your computer.

Nothing in this message is intended to constitute an electronic signature unless a specific statement to the contrary is included in this message.

Confidentiality Note: This message is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed. It may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, transmission, dissemination or other use, or taking of any action in reliance upon this message by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete it from your computer.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Phil!

It sounds like you selected the "Prompt to Resume" setting in Player Properties, but the course isn't resuming correctly in Internet Explorer and in an Oracle-based LMS.

Thanks for letting us know you're on the latest update of Storyline 360, so we can check that off the list!

From here, I'd like to test the LMS output file in another LMS environment. That way, we can compare how it behaves to what you're seeing in your LMS. SCORM Cloud is a great option because it's industry standard for LMS testing, and it's free!

If you'd like help with that testing, attach your LMS output file here.

Phil McCormick

Alyssa, I think my issue may be even easier than that.
In one of your discussion threads someone mentions checking a box below these selections if in AICC, unchecking if in SCORM.
I do not have that box to check or uncheck. I wish I had captured that checkbox, sorry. Does this help?

[cid:image003.jpg@01D47CB1.7560A2B0]
Philip J McCormick
Phil McCormick
Project Manager/ISD

[GET-GM chrome logo]

“Enthusiasm is that temper of the mind in which the imagination has got the better of the judgment” - William Warburton.

Confidentiality Note: This message is intended only for the person to which it is addressed. It may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
Any review, transmission, dissemination or other use, or taking of any action in reliance upon this message by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete it from your computer.

Phil McCormick

https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/storyline-360-storyline-3-bookmarking-on-lms#reply-561976

Choosing Your Resume Options
•If your LMS supports bookmarking, mark the box labeled When running in LMS, ignore Flash cookie. The LMS will control resume behavior in this scenario.
•If your LMS doesn't support bookmarking, uncheck When running in LMS, ignore Flash cookie. A Flash cookie on learners' computers will control resume

Philip J McCormick
Phil McCormick
Project Manager/ISD

[GET-GM chrome logo]

“Enthusiasm is that temper of the mind in which the imagination has got the better of the judgment” - William Warburton.

Phil McCormick

Not if I don’t have that all important check box I mentioned 3 times in earlier posts.
The dialog box, entitled Resume says On Restart: Prompt to resume, etc.
The checkbox below it, which I do not have, says When running in LMS, ignore Flash cookie.
[cid:image001.png@01D47D7B.CD5312D0]

Philip J McCormick
Phil McCormick
Project Manager/ISD

[GET-GM chrome logo]

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Phil,

You're saying you don't have the "When Running LMS, ignore Flash cookie" checkbox under the resume setting. This is because we actually removed this option from Storyline 360 and Storyline 3. Because it does not impact HTML5 output, you won't need this feature anymore. 

That being said, let's go back to your original issue: you course isn't resuming correctly in Internet Explorer and in an Oracle-based LMS.

Could you please share your project file with our team so we can do some further investigation? We'll also test the course in another LMS to compare how it behaves there. 

Darlene Pielack

Hi Leslie,

I am still experiencing the same issue of the bookmarking not working in our Oracle LMS. Since I have posted this, I created two other courses that are experiencing the same issue no bookmarking.

• Prompt to resume
  • the course works as intended to in SCORM Cloud, meaning limited to the LMS
  • I pretty much work from Chrome and once in awhile IE. Both browsers exhibit the same behavior.

We are trying to resolve this issue to work in our LMS otherwise we have to go back to Lectora. We are trying to avoid this as we love using Storyline. The las with the ticket were the course is too large and that may be causing the issue or there is a setting in the LMS that needs to change. Which may be difficult as admin is not willing to change. Thanks for your reply.

Darlene

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Darlene,

I found your case with Renato and it looks like you're also using AICC, and that may be why the bookmarking isn't working as expected. It's possible you're running into the suspend data issue and I see that Renato asked you to pull some LMS debug logs. Were you able to go through those steps?  

Rachel Crabtree

Has there been any resolution to this thread?  I am using Storyline 360 (3.32.20313.0), IE (11.1392.16299.0), and SAP/Success Factors.  There are inconsistent reports from users complaining about various courses not saving their place.  The "prompt to resume" player setting is selected.  Thanks :)

Rachel Crabtree

Also we are exported directly to HTML5 - personally I think it is a browser based lack of support HTML5 issue that is the issue, but I might be making that up.  To add additional oddities to the situation drag/drop questions seem to be problematic again (i.e. slide not resetting, drag items jumping across page, course getting stuck on drag/drop questions, etc.).

Vincent Scoma

Hi Rachel,

Thank you for providing those details! 

Have you had a chance to test the course behavior in a testing LMS environment like SCORM Cloud? If not, I am more than happy to help!

With your permission, I'd like to take a look at your project file to investigate what's happening. You can share it publicly here, or you are always welcome to connect with our Support Engineers privately here. We'll share our findings and delete it when finished troubleshooting.

Cindy Bowen

I  am using the same version of Storyline 360 that Rachel is using.  My project also will not bookmark correctly.   

I have tried several combinations of slide properties. I also published with SCORM 1.2 which did bookmark but not correctly. I read on the forum to use SCORM 2004 - 4th edition because of the size of the project.  

The current project settings are:

Browser settings: Resume on start set to "Prompt to resume".

Slide Properties: When revisiting set to " Resume saved state".

Published for LMS using SCORM 2004 - 4th  Edition.  

This is a 45 minute course that must bookmark the location in the course for the learner.  Currently if they leave and come back, the course starts at the very beginning again. 

HELP! I need to get this course loaded into the LMS with proper bookmarking ASAP .  It's a required course that all employees will need to complete by the end of November.  

Bill King

Hi Ren, 

I appear to be running into a similar issue, i.e. I have a long course, published in SCORM 2004, bookmarking is not working (via test on SCORMCloud), and it is set to "always resume" on restart. I was wondering if you all had uncovered any potential fixes I might try from Cindy's case or otherwise. Please let me know. I will also be happy to submit the sl file if appropriate/helpful.  

Thanks, 

Bill