Storyline 360 Text Entry for Screen Recordings

Oct 10, 2017

We have over 60 screen captures to edit by Friday. The screen captures are for an ERP system with lots of data entry forms. We had not realized that the Try mode would not automatically recognize when a user has entered the desired text or that the text would be treated as a quiz requiring us to make numerous edits. My preference is not to have the user click "Enter" because that is used for submitting an entire form, not moving from field to field. Using "Tab" or having the user just click on the image results in essentially clicking once to submit and once to start the text entry for the next field. The double-clicking is not natural. I tried using the last key that is being typed as the submission option, but it jumps to the next step before the key is seen being typed. Using the "Submit" button works but it does not reflect how the system will actually function. Has anyone found a smooth way to handle the text entry?

Another HUGE hurdle is that we keep seeing flashes of black frames intermittently between slides. I welcome any thoughts on this!

9 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hey Wendy, thanks for your questions!

Since you want the learner to submit the interaction by pressing the Tab key, try using this trigger:

This will work because pressing the Tab key is the same thing as "the control losing focus." 

You also mentioned you keep seeing flashes of black frames intermittently between slides. Is this happening in Storyline preview or after publishing the project?

Harold Lentink

We are having the same issues with the flashes. It seems that the storyline needs to load the next slide and therefore shows a black screen for a split second. If it takes longer the waiting dots appear as well. It happens during preview and during an exported scorm package. Very annoying an not customer friendly. This really needs to be solved quickly because we can't sell it this way to customers. 

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Harold,

I'm sorry you've run into a similar situation as Wendy, but we'd like to help!  Thanks, Wendy for coming back to share how you fixed it, but I think there may be more to what's happening here...

Can you share a copy of your .story file here with us, Harold? Also please let us know what version/update of Storyline you're using and where you're testing the published courses (i.e. hosting location, browsers, etc .) as that'll help streamline our testing! 

Harold Lentink

Ashley

Thanks for getting back at me. Unfortunately I can not share the file online because of the company content that we won't share public. Would it then be the best way to share it as an feature request? We (me and two colleagues) are working with Storyline 360 V3.16.15842.0

We almost always work locally on our (quite heaved duty) Latitude Dell Laptops. The effect occurs when previewing, publishing to  Web and even when posting on Articulate review. Not only we as articulate users experience this, but also the non-users who visit articulate review site. 

Hope that gives a better understanding of the situation. 

Kind regards, Harold

Wendy McGarvey

Yes, when I referenced each frame, I was referring to the slides. I am glad you asked further questions as it made me remember additional details. We had planned to provide the customer with all three modes. The amount of time lost trying to resolve and fix the issue caused us to switch to only using the Try Mode. With the Try Mode, the Screen Recording in the Timeline section did not appear to add any value since the action of the user clicking on something advances it to the next image. With scrolling, the Screen Recording did need to stay in the Timeline section to allow the image to appropriately display as scrolling. Removing the Screen Recording from the timeline for each frame also significantly reduced the file size. I do not think this workaround would work in the View Mode. Like you, we experienced the issue regardless of the published type of output, the computer, or the browser. Speaking of browsers, I found a very distinct difference in the quality of the screen recording images when viewed in Internet Explorer vs Chrome.

Maureen Matsumoto

Hi Alyssa,

I have the same problem but the Tab key is not a solution because it isn't necessary to use it in real life. For example, when a user types in a specific number, it triggers an event to occur. I have the exact same problem as above that using the last number as the "trigger" to show the next slide doesn't work. Is there a solution?

Thank you,

Maureen

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Maureen,

The text entry field has to lose focus (meaning the learner's cursor is no longer active there) for Storyline to validate what they had entered. How will your learners navigate away from the text entry field in real life - do they click outside of it or press another button?

You could provide instructions to your learners what to do within this simulation if there isn't a way to match to the real-life setup. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.