Storyline 360, the Mobile Graphics Folder and accessibility concerns

Jan 07, 2021

I have a ticket in with Articulate support on this issue, but I was wondering if this has come up for anyone else and if they were able to find a work-around. I am creating courses that need to meet Section 508 and WCAG 2.0 guidelines. 

When a learner is going through the course using a screen reader it is picking up what is on the slide including alt text for the graphics, but it is also picking up the file names within the mobile graphics folder of the published zip file. 

The problem seems to be that when the course is published the software is saving the elements of the course in this mobile graphics folder differently than how they are saved in the course so even if we updated the name of every graphic we used in the media library of the course once it is published it would essentially be saved differently within this folder and they tend to be listed as "mobile/.....unlabeled" with random numbers and letters. 

In order to meet accessibility requirements all the mobile/… unlabeled graphics must either be removed or hidden so that screen reading software does not find and read them or labeled clearly. Has anyone had this issue come up? If s have you found a way to hide that folder from a screenreader without losing the graphics in the course? or have you found another "fix" that might work? 

Thank you so much for any insights! 

1 Reply
Lauren Connelly

Hello Sabrina!

I'm sorry you're running into this issue! After looking at your support case, I see that we've logged this behavior as a possible software bug. 

For anyone else who is running into an issue where a screen reader reads extra images by referencing the folder where the images are located, please reach out to our Support Engineers to track the impact of this bug. 

I appreciate you taking the time to bring this to our attention, and we'll continue updating you in this discussion when we have news to share regarding this bug.