STORYLINE 360 - "This project is invalid or corrupt and cannot be opened...."

Feb 02, 2017

Hello,

I Cannot open one of my .story projects. I had worked on it just a couple days ago and everything seemed fine. I've tried all the below steps.

Work on your local drive (your C: drive).Working on a network drive or a USB drive can cause erratic behavior, including file corruption, loss of audio, and other unexpected behavior. 

You should also make sure the directory path to your project files and your published output is less than 260 characters(for example C:\Articulate).
Avoid using special characters, accents or symbols in your file names.

I'd also try opening a new Storyline project and import this older one into the blank project. 

This is a huge project and it will REALLY be terrible if I have to start over. If there is no solution, how can I assure this won't happen again??

Thanks.

11 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

So sorry you've hit this road block, Kolton. That's never a good message to see, so let's try to locate a working version of your project in your temp files. Here's how to check:

1) Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline

2) Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop.

3) Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story.

4) Double-click the file to open it in Storyline.

File corruption is unpredictable, and there's no straightforward way to determine what causes it. Common causes are environmental (disk errors, power outages, improper shutdowns), viruses, failed Windows updates, and even file size (i.e., very large files have a higher risk of corrupting). You may want to review the general best practices here to help prevent future file corruption, and it looks like you've already tried some of the tips listed there.

Please let me know if you have any luck checking the temp files. I'm crossing my fingers for you!

Kolton Durkin

Thanks, Alyssa. I'm just about done recreating the whole thing. Luckily I save my quizzes and engages separately. They opened fine. Hopefully this doesn't happen again, but if it does I'll try your suggesting above.

However, I do have another question. Let me know if I'm doing something incorrectly. When I Import an Engage or Quiz into my project, I am prompted to choose whether to insert it into the current scene or an new scene. No matter what I choose, that slide always gets put into a new scene.

Thanks again!

Tony Konig

ugh, Hi Alyssa. I am having this problem now and none of the fixes seem to work. No temp files in that folder since 3/30, so my current work is not represented there.  I was dealing with this yesterday and then had to recreate the project from scratch.  After working on it all day, I rebooted and now none of my new files can be opened by storyline with the same error message. 

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Tony,

Thanks for contacting us to share that you are experiencing a similar issue. The file you've shared here does not open for me either and only shows that's it's 1MB.

• Are you working with your software and files on your local drive, typically your C: Drive?

Since the issue has now occurred on more than one file, it may be your software install.

• Do you know what version of Storyline you're using?
  • You can check by going to:
    Help > About Articulate Storyline

We are currently on Build 3.38.21861.0 of Storyline 360. You can read all of the details here. If you are on the latest build, I'd recommend a quick repair of your software.

We do recommend disabling the automatic sync of your files to a cloud storage drive to avoid erratic issues like file corruption. You can read other tips on this topic here.

Heinee Hinrichsen

I just lost my whole project to a corrupt file. Lesson learned. I will need to make frequent backups every time I edit a file from here on out. My co-worker and I have had to many incidents of files that get corrupt for one reason or another. I looked in my tmp folder. Nothing was there. I was hoping it had autosaved. It didn't. I have to start this project all over again from scratch.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Heinee,

I'm sorry to hear you ran into an issue with file corruption! This discussion shares a couple of helpful tips to prevent it in the future and I wanted to offer some other thoughts. 

I hope those resources help prevent any future headaches, and if you need more help our Support Team is standing by. 

Heinee Hinrichsen

I had to recreate a whole weeks worth of one of my projects because the file had become corrupted or it was created in an older version of Storyline 360. Whatever the case is for this corrupted file. I utilized the same graphics, videos, sound effects, text that I used in the project that got corrupted. I saved 2 copies of this brand new file I had just created. It took me another week to create it. When I closed both of them and reopened. Low and behold. The file was corrupted again. You can't possibly imagine my frustration that not only I have but my supervisor as well. She is fed up and rightfully so. It could be the something within the assets in the file but I'm not sure. All of my other files work just dandy. I'm going to have to restart this module a 3rd time now and its going to take me another weeks worth of work to get this done but believe me. I'm getting good practice on this particular module so I am getting faster at it with every time it goes corrupt on me. 

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Heinee,

The auto-recovery feature of Storyline 360 is specific to the software shutting down unexpectedly. It's not an auto-save feature. You can read more about it here if needed.

It does sound like you're running into issues repeatedly though and I've opened a support case on your behalf so that you can work directly with one of our support engineers. I've included all the details that you've shared here and you should be hearing from someone soon.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.