Storyline 360 to SharePoint

Jul 25, 2017

I recently made the switch to Storyline 360. I previously had Storyline 2 and was able to publish for the web, create the .aspx file, and upload to SharePoint through Explorer.

In Storyline 360 I can not get the same results with that process. Instead, upon clicking the .aspx file on SharePoint, I receive a prompt to save the .html file. If I click save, a blank window opens. I have tried this in both Chrome and Internet Explorer 11.

Is there something I have to do differently when using 360?

71 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Michele,

If you still need help you may also want to message John directly - it appears he has the Contact Me enabled on his profile. That'll allow you to message him and see if he can provide more specific help on using Sharepoint. 

Let us know how you get along - I'm sure the tips and tricks will help others in the community! 

John Luttrell

Hi Michele,

Thanks for following up. I had some success getting embedded Engage interactions to work on SharePoint, but it continues to be inconsistent.

When you embed an Engage interaction on a slide in Storyline, in the background SL publishes the Engage project and puts it into a folder in your Windows profile data temporarily, until you publish your Storyline project, at which time the Engage content gets put into a folder in the published project. If you take a look the properties of the Engage interaction on the SL slide, you can see the path, it goes to an HTML file. In order to have the Engage interaction work on a SharePoint server, you need to do a similar thing to what you do with the story.html file and renaming it to story.aspx. 

When you publish a Storyline project with Engage interactions, it puts the published files into the story_content/WebObjects folder. You'll need to go into that folder and copy the HTML files to ASPX, but... the linking to the Engage content in the published Storyline project, points to HTML files and not ASPX files... so, even if you create the ASPX files, the Storyline slide is looking for an HTML file. And we know those get a forced download from SharePoint.

What you need to do is, once you've published the entire SL project, is to copy the individual folder from the published project folder, do the HTML to ASPX copy/rename, upload that folder to a separate folder on SharePoint, make sure that works with ASPX.

After you've confirmed the Engage interaction will run on SharePoint from the folder you've uploaded, then you go back to the original Storyline project, right-click on the embedded interaction and use Web Object > Edit to change the path to the folder on SharePoint, where the working ASPX version of the interaction is stored. 

Once you've updated the path to the Engage "web object" that is stored separately on SharePoint, republish the whole Storyline project again. Do the HTML to ASPX step and then upload the updated published project to SharePoint.

Kind of a twisted approach, but it seems to work.

So, it breaks the link allowing you to right-click in Storyline to edit the Engage interaction. If you do right-click and edit, you'll need to go and find that deep folder in your Windows data again and upload that to SharePoint again. 

I would say if you absolutely need to do this, wait until the project is reviewed and approved before publishing to SharePoint.

The other thing that doesn't quite work with this approach is the ability to use the Next button while in the Engage interaction, to step through the interaction. You'll need to use the navigation built in to Engage, rather than the Storyline Next button. That will just take you to the next slide.

Hope this helps. Not an ideal solution, but it seems to work. Mostly.

John

Malcolm McKinnon

I recently upgraded from Storyline 2 to Storyline 360, and my old workaround isn't working any more...

The story_flash.aspx runs fine, but the story_html5.aspx gets stuck on the loading wheel. Has anyone found a way to get this working?

Just bumping this in case anyone's encountered a similar problem but managed to find a solution...

Alistair Dootson

I have a similar problem, running on Sharepoint online. 

The html files do not try to download - the story.html opens blank, story_html5.html opens and spins forever.

If I rename to aspx, then they get downloaded and open in editing mode, so that older workaround really doesn't work. 

I've tried most of these fixes and I'm getting nowhere, I have tried locally and it runs fine!

Help most appreciated!

Ali

John Luttrell

Hi SharePoint Explorers!

Well, it seems like something has changed recently in SharePoint that is preventing anything I publish from running. I've tried the HTML > ASPX renaming approach I've discussed here previously, but that no longer works. I am at my wit's end on this. The only thing I've been able to do is load a published project folder onto OneDrive and then link to that from SharePoint.

At this point, OneDrive (or on a web server other than SharePoint) seems to be the best approach.

It seems like there are a growing number of users who want to publish to SharePoint from SL and SL360. If enough of us add this integration to a feature request, it could happen. Thanks to Articulate Support for listening to this awesome community!!! 

I'm sharing a mock-up of the SL 360 Publish dialog with a SharePoint option to inspire everyone! ;-)

https://articulate.com/support/contact/feature-request

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi John,

I love your enthusiasm for this feature and sharing some details here. Thanks for sending along to our team as an official feature request too. Although we don't currently have publishing options that refer to specific hosting solutions, it's always good to know that it would help you and others! 

We'll keep folks posted if something like this is added to the roadmap. 

Roni Borri
John Luttrell

Hi SharePoint Explorers!

Well, it seems like something has changed recently in SharePoint that is preventing anything I publish from running. I've tried the HTML > ASPX renaming approach I've discussed here previously, but that no longer works. I am at my wit's end on this. The only thing I've been able to do is load a published project folder onto OneDrive and then link to that from SharePoint.

At this point, OneDrive (or on a web server other than SharePoint) seems to be the best approach.

It seems like there are a growing number of users who want to publish to SharePoint from SL and SL360. If enough of us add this integration to a feature request, it could happen. Thanks to Articulate Support for listening to this awesome community!!! 

I'm sharing a mock-up of the SL 360 Publish dialog with a SharePoint option to inspire everyone! ;-)

https://articulate.com/support/contact/feature-request

Hi John,

I have seconded your feature request :)

In the meantime, can you explain how you got it to work through OneDrive? I've uploaded the published web content to OneDrive, but not sure if I should still be changing file extensions, or what to have Sharepoint link to. 

I've built a fab little interaction in SL360 but I'm lost on how to get people to see it outside of our LMS. I'm feeling a bit inept!

Thank you!

Malcolm McKinnon

Hi Cynthia,

I'm not sure if this will suit your situation, but it seems that the best option is to upload your files in to OneDrive (replacing .html with .aspx as described in other posts in this thread). 

This solution works for me, although - somewhat ironically - it doesn't work in Microsoft Edge browser. I recommend learners use Google Chrome or IE.

John Luttrell

Hi Roni,

Wow, time flies... I think Kiren describes below the current solution I've found that works on OneDrive, however there's an alternate approach that I've used:

Oddly, in some cases just copying 'index_html5.html' to 'index_html5.aspx' doesn't work. But, copying 'index_html5.html' to 'launch.aspx' works. Not sure why that would be, but it's worth a try. I know, you're probably shaking your head like I did when I tried it (in desperation). 

Also, see my most recent post below regarding .json files.

Hope this helps!

John Luttrell

In related news, I ran across a similar issue with Adobe Captivate. I think this could be a general issue with SharePoint and content from both Storyline and Captivate. It looks like there's an issue on SharePoint with .json files. JavaScript Object Notation (.json) files are used for application-server data exchange. But, .json files are blocked by default on SharePoint servers.

Here's an article about publishing Captivate to SharePoint and there's a note at the top about using the admin tool on the SharePoint server to allow .json files to be used:

https://helpx.adobe.com/captivate/kb/upload-captivate-published-output-sharepoint.html

I don't have that level of access for any SharePoint server, but I think it could be a clue to getting Storyline content to run on both SharePoint and OneDrive with the .html > .aspx approach.

Anyone out there have full Admin rights on a SharePoint server? ;-)  

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Cynthia,

Just want to pop in about the file type you noticed/mentioned here.

We simplified the published output in Storyline 360 builds 3.35.20995.0 and later. When you publish HTML5-only or Flash-only courses, Storyline no longer generates these files in your published output:

• index_lms_flash.html
• index_lms_html5.html
• story_flash.html
• story_html5.html

You'll only see the files above when you publish courses with both HTML5 and Flash formats.

We recommend pointing to story.html or index_lms.html depending on the publish.

Liz Pisarczyk

Hello Everyone,

I found this thread super helpful, however, since this conversation is from 2 years ago, I am wondering if these fixes no longer work. I am trying to upload a Storyline 360 story to Sharepoint by following all the instructions here. Unfortunately, my aspx file is prompted to download every time. Articulate is no longer recommending that users download the Classic story view - meaning the new Modern view does not include the Flash html paths that have been mentioned. 

Does anyone have an update to this conversation with the newer options in Storyline?

Thank you in advance!

Lauren Connelly

Hi Aldina!

Great question!

This is specific to SharePoint, and the way content is uploaded to SharePoint. It sounds like other community members are uploading Storyline 360 courses to SharePoint in this discussion. 

I'd also recommend checking with SharePoint to see if they have tips to share when uploading content in html format.

John Luttrell

Hi friends,

I feel that it would be supremely helpful to the entire Storyline community if Articulate provided support for SharePoint, OneDrive, and now Teams. They are viable and extremely ubiquitous intranet and extranet collaboration platforms and seem like a perfect way to deliver learning and performance support content.

I've tried the numerous hacks that are documented in this discussion thread and some work, but do so inconsistently. Is there nothing that the folks in development can do to help out the user community on this topic?

Do we really need to hack all these various systems or the content we've developed to get this to work? In many cases, we're working with a consulting client and have little or no influence in the client's intranet platform. But, Office 365 and it's family of products are so widely used, that it seems a disservice to the community and our clients or employers to produce content that can't be shared on that platform.

Yes, learning management systems are the most appropriate platform to provide content to learners, when tracking progress and completion of training modules or courses is important. However, there are many use cases where SharePoint is a more appropriate platform because it's integrated with a team collaboration site and is a performance support tool or just information distribution. 

Question for Articulate staff: is there anything being done on this? Or should everyone on this thread just give up and stop trying to make this work? I know I've spent countless hours trying to get this to work. I'm not trying to be sarcastic, honestly. If the answer is 'no', then the answer is 'no'.