Storyline 360 update: now tabbing to button executes button

Jan 02, 2018

I have a course that I published in Storyline 360 version 3.10.13923.0. As expected, the way it has always worked, when I tab to a button object the focus changes from the previous object to the button.  Then now that the focus is on the button object, when I tap the Enter key the button is then executed. In my case my button is a Continue button and the trigger on the button is to Jump to a specific slide. I updated Storyline 360 to to 3.11.14249.0. I've done NOTHING to my file.  I publish the course, and now here is what happens: When I tab to the button object, it executes the button.  In other words, when I tab to my Continue button I am taken to the target slide. It is no longer the case that the focus is on the button but that I must first tap the Enter key to execute the button; tabbing to the button executes the button.  In other words, my 508 accessibility solution is now broken.  How can I prevent the button from being executed when it is tabbed to?

14 Replies
David Kelling

Attached is a file demonstrating the problem.  You can even see it in preview mode.  Curiously, on the first screen, you CAN tab to the Continue button, tap Enter, then and only then is the Continue button executed.  But you'll see on screens 2 and 3 that when you tab off of the text object, you are simply taken to the next slide. Return to the first slide and you'll see you can no longer tab to the Continue button on that slide either.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi David,

Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention, and I appreciate you including a sample file. I don't see that this has been reported yet, so I'm really glad you mentioned it here. 

I'm going to share this with my team so we can begin looking at next steps. As soon as I get more information, I'll be sure to pass it along! 

David Kelling

In the meantime, thank you to Articulate for privately making download of previous version of Storyline 360 available to me.  Anticipating an official update of the product that resolves these issues as, obvioiusly, sticking with the older version is not a good long-term solution.  Again, thanks to Articulate for making the old version available to me.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Richard,

Thanks for sending in a Support case too! I let our team know that you also reached out here, and they'll be in touch soon. 

Also, this issue where tabbing to button executes trigger automatically in the HTML5 output is something our team is targeting to have fixed in the next Storyline 360 update. We're hoping to push that out in the next few weeks, so once we do we'll post here and let you know via your support case too! 

Leslie McKerchie

Hello everyone,

Great news!  We just released another update for Articulate 360, and included a few important fixes that you'll see in the release notes here.  

The item you'll be interested in is:

We fixed several issues with triggers in HTML5 output, including on-click triggers that would automatically execute when using keyboard navigation to tab between objects, key-press triggers that wouldn't jump to the next slide when they were assigned to data-entry fields, and inconsistent hover triggers.

Just launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button for Storyline 360. Details here.

Please let us know if you have any questions, either here or by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.