Storyline 360 Video Preload

Oct 08, 2018

I'm working to try and remove flash from an LMS, and there is a very long multi module custom flash course that I am trying to convert to HTML5.

I thought it might be easier to convert the swf files to .mp4 and then place them into Storyline as slides and create a final HTML5 project from that.  Yes, it would be very video heavy but hopefully a lot less time that recreating the entire course with images and audio.

I have the media converted and it works great.... until it has to be delivered by the LMS. (I have also brought down the quality to "1" and the video segments are not full screen, more like 500x300.

In reading these entries on SL that it needs to download the file before playing it as other versions had done (I remember using a preloader in Presenter), I'm finding this download completion to be problematic.

Would it help if I created small videos from the existing slide videos and have them play back to back in a slide?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

George

7 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi there, George!

Videos preload like other slide assets in Storyline 360 and Storyline 3 courses. However, in Storyline 1 and Storyline 2 HTML5 courses, videos don’t preload; they progressively download so they can begin playing as soon as possible.

Are you noticing sluggish behavior on video slides in Storyline 360? If so, how long are these video files? 

George Hayman

Hi Alyssa,

Hi, actually the longest one is the intro that is 2mb and :30 in length.  Most are in the 800k range and shorter.

But even when I removed the first large one, the others don't start readily either.

It does seem to be the fact that it is not progressive, because on the same LMS test, using a different tool that allows me to specify if I want progressive download, it seems to work fine.

Thanks,

geo

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.