Storyline 360 View Mode Demos
I recently created a course that largely consists of demonstrations with audio. I started by recording each demonstration and inserting it as view mode step-by-step slides.
I then added a frame to slides where an audio explanation was needed. This worked reasonably well but I do have a few issues.
- I would like the seekbar to show the progress for the entire demonstration but using View Mode steps means the seekbar resets for each slide and only shows the progress for that slide rather than the entire demo.
- The option to insert the video on a single slide solves the seekbar issue but I then lose the highlight box and red circle associated with each click action.
- Editing the video is also pretty clunky. There is no easy way to cut out sections of the video where mistakes and/or delays occurred during the original recording process.
- Adding frames with audio is also a fairly tedious process.
If the sound associated with mouse clicks is not wanted, there is no designed means to remove it. There is a work around of finding the .mp3 file in the published output and deleting it but this is not ideal.
The solution I came up with is:
- Record the demonstration using Storyline 360.
- On the Design tab, set the Story Size so that it matches the window size used for the step 1 recording. This results in the video published in step 5 being the same size as the original demonstration recording.
- Insert the video into its own scene as View Mode step-by-step slides.
- Adjust highlight boxes and text captions as needed. I only include highlight boxes in my demonstration videos.
- Publish the scene as a video. The video will include the highlight boxes, red circle for mouse action, and mouse click audio.
- Open the video using my preferred editor.
- Delete the audio track from the published video.
- Delete any video frames that are not needed.
- Record required audio explanations using my preferred utility and add it where it is needed.
- Save the updated video.
- Insert the updated video into a Storyline 360 slide.
The result is that all of my requirements are satisfied.
- Audio explanations are where they required
- Highlight boxes and red circles are present for mouse actions
- The seekbar reflects the overall progress through the demonstration
It would be great if I could accomplish all of this using only Storyline 360. At the present time though, I don't believe that is possible.