Storyline 360; Will Storyline 360 files open in Storyline 3?

Dec 13, 2016

Hi Storyline folks,

Will Storyline 360 files open is Storyline 3, when it is eventually released?

Or will the compatibility be only one way from Storyline 3 to Storyline 360?

Has this bit been addressed somewhere? This may be important to a lot of people who don't want get caught into "I am stuck" kinda situation.

Thanks

37 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Abhinav,

Thanks for reaching out here. We're still working out the details of this, as Storyline 3 is still a product in development and the release date or full feature list hasn't been nailed down yet. I know our team has heard a lot of questions about the transition of files from Storyline 360 into Storyline 3. When Storyline 3 launches you'll be able to open existing Storyline 360 files within Storyline 3 to continue your work inside that tool. As Storyline 360 continues to evolve and develop, there are features that will only exist in Storyline 360 and therefore the files created using those features won't be compatible with Storyline 3. 

We know that this is an important question for a lot of folks in the community, so we're working to get you a finalized feature set and additional information as soon as possible. 

Chad Keller

Don't mean to derail the thread, but this doesn't make any sense to me.  Why would there be two brand new concurrent versions of Storyline available, with potentially different feature sets?  Wouldn't it make sense that Storyline 360 is basically the full release version of Storyline 3 beta?  I mean the version number of the current Storyline 360 is 3.2.9598.0.

If you are going to offer Storyline 3 as a way to keep your single license customers that don't want / need the full 360 suite, then why not offer Storyline 360 stand alone subscription pricing.

It just seems like more work to have to maintain two newly released products that are essentially the same.

Hi Chad,

Since Storyline 360 is just one tool within the suite of the Articulate 360 subscription product it'll continue to be updated with new features and additional elements. Some of these are in connection with the web based apps such as Content Library and Articulate Review, which can be used with Storyline 360. So that tool is designed to have it work with the other products in the suite and allow you as the customer to determine which tool will work for the job/course/project you have to complete. 

In terms of creating a Storyline 360 as a standalone subscription, we've also heard from a number of customers that they are not able to commit to a subscription product at all, and that's why we'll keep the perpetual license set up where it's a one time purchase of the product. The license of a perpetual product is how we got our start and we're committed to supporting those customers who got us where we are today and still need to use a perpetually licensed product. 

I hope that helps clarify, and please let us know if you have any other questions. 

Brian Allen
Ashley Terwilliger

In terms of creating a Storyline 360 as a standalone subscription, we've also heard from a number of customers that they are not able to commit to a subscription product at all

I agree with this, but I think the suggestion here is to make Storyline 360 available as a perpetual stand alone license, outside the Articulate 360 subscription. This would seem to be the easiest way to ensure interoperability btwn subscription/non-subscription licenses. That being said I'm about the furthest thing away from a software engineer, so what seems to be easy most likely isn't.

I'm also pretty far from a software Engineer - so I'd leave that up to them. :)  But I do know that since Storyline 360 has elements of Articulate 360 woven in such as access to Content Library or Review - we'd have to find a way to disable or remove those buttons/options and that probably is why it's being built as Storyline 3 which will be a perpetual stand alone license.

So think of them as cousins, vs. fraternal twins. :) There will be some connection between features and being able to use content created in Storyline 360 when Storyline 3 launches, but as Storyline 360 continues to have new features and elements added, those features may not work in Storyline 3. 

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Kendra!

We're scheduled to release another perpetual version of Storyline 3 sometime in 2017, but I don't have a firmer date on when that'll be available yet. Stay tuned to E-Learning Heroes and our social media outlets.  Plus, you can manage your email preferences for your Articulate ID, and that'll ensure you get notified whenever something big happens!  

On the day that Storyline 3 is released this year, its features will match those of Storyline 360, with the exception of the subscription elements like Content Library and Articulate Review.  So, following along on those Available Now items that you see on our What's New, What's Next page is a great move.

It's also worthwhile to keep in mind that after the day Storyline 3 is released, as Storyline 360 adds additional features and diverges from Storyline 3's initial feature set, 360 content containing those new features may not open in Storyline 3.

I hope that help clarify our plans, and if you have additional questions our Success team would be happy to talk to you about that.  

Ashley Reynolds
Ashley Terwilliger

As Storyline 360 continues to evolve and develop, there are features that will only exist in Storyline 360 and therefore the files created using those features won't be compatible with Storyline 3.

Hi Ashley,

I'd also be interested to know for what duration there would be support and bug fixes offered for the standalone release.  (maybe a promise of a set time, so buyers know before they purchase?)

Ash

Hi Ash,

Great question - we will support the current and previous standalone perpetual versions (so currently it's Storyline 1 and 2, and Studio 13 and 09) and you'll see that documented here in our Support Policy. So when Storyline 3 comes out, we'll still be supporting Storyline 2 for some time - but I don't have specific details about bug fixes or update timelines for the products. 

Susi B
Ashley Terwilliger

but as Storyline 360 continues to have new features and elements added, those features may not work in Storyline 3.

So this means Storyline 360 and Storyline 3 will not have the same functions/features/whatever like new trigger options, tables (which I know is coming for SL3 but just as an example) or whatever will be created? 

If it´s only no access to the Content Library, Review and other stuff that´s no Storyline build in function for building our courses, I think my company can live with that.

Good new Tracy - Storyline 3 is out now! 

Storyline 360 projects can be opened and edited with Storyline 3 except when they include new features that exist only in Storyline 360. Storyline 3 projects can always be opened and edited with Storyline 360. We think this is the best way to help customers who need to exchange projects between the perpetual version and subscription version (which will always be more feature-rich) of Storyline.

So, in other words…

• Can I open a Storyline 360 file that has Storyline 360-specific features in Storyline 3? No, you’ll see an error message. But not to worry, remove those features and then you can open in SL3
  • Can I open a Storyline 360 file that doesn’t have Storyline 360-specific features in Storyline 3?  Yes, this will work!
  • Can I open a Storyline 3 file in Storyline 360? Yes, this will also work!

Susi,

Storyline 3 has 35 new features, including our new responsive mobile player, vastly improved HTML5 output, HTML5-first and HTML5-only publishing options, closed captioning, dial interactions, and new triggers events and motion path options for enhanced interactivity. We’re also adding a tables feature soon. You've probably seen and experienced a lot of these already in Storyline 360.

If continuous feature updates are important to you, then we recommend you consider Articulate 360, which includes Storyline 360. Storyline 360 will always be latest version of Storyline and is continuously updated with new features. The initial release of Storyline 3 did include a few bug fixes that are targeted for Update 5 of Storyline 360 very soon.

Scott L

HI Ashley,

Thanks for filling in more responses and details to the fine details of 360 vs 3. The three scenarios above are particularly helpful.

For your scenario #1, “Can I open a Storyline 360 file that has Storyline 360-specific features in Storyline 3? No, you’ll see an error message. But not to worry, remove those features and then you can open in SL3”

Q1: I can understand the logic here; 360 vs 3 will clearly be two divergent versions. When a 360 file uses a new feature not available in 3, it won’t open in 3. Will the Storyline 3 error message tell the author what feature was used and is preventing it from being opened in 3?  I can image, at least for the interim where some teams have 3 and others have 360 (both working on the same project) things will work fine for a while. Eventually, things will shift, new features will be added to & used in 360, files sent to others using 3, and things will start to not open. Users of 3 are going to wonder, “Okay, I knew this day was coming… but what feature did Bob using 360 just add in that now results in me not being able to edit this using my license of 3?”

Q2: Would you be able to give us any examples of new 360 features that will not be compatible in 3 (resulting in this error message)? I’m sure you have to hold details close to the chest here until features are actually released, but eventually - like towards the end of2017 - there will be some post on ELH that asks or states, “360 features that prevent opening in 3”. So I’m just wondering about a snapshot into the future here.

Hi Scott,

Glad the scenarios help - I always think "real world" situations make a lot more sense. 

Q1: The error message at this time doesn't say what the different features were, but I can see that being a popular query going forward - so we'll continue to discuss with our team. Also, the users of 3 wouldn't be able to remove the features that Bob put in while editing in Storyline 360. So they're going to have to rely on Bob to go back and make those changes. Probably should send Bob some cookies... 

Q2: I don't have a list of these yet to say that X feature would only ever appear in Storyline 360 and never in Storyline 3. I know our team is really weighing each feature and where, when and what tool it'll appear in to be very careful about this. As soon as we know about that list or one is being released we'll be sure to give you a heads up so that you can tell Bob to avoid it unless necessary or after you've made edits/gotten a copy to use in Storyline 3. He sounds like a troublemaker. ;-) 

David Fisher

Hello all

(here is a quick Add-On query since this post is the closest to my issue I have been able to find)

I began development work using Storyline 2 and then started work on another project for the same client in Storyline 360. They would like to be able to make changes to the Source documents themselves and are reluctant to purchase a perpetual 360 license. They are also stuck in the middle of their year for software purchases. Based on these discussions above, is it possible to bring a file from 360 into 3 (this is working for me using the trial version of Storyline 3) and then save it back to 2? (I can't see a way to "Save As" the file as Storyline 2. (potentially using the same missing feature prompts as described above for compatibility issues between the various versions of Storyline.)

Justin Grenier

Hi, David.

Storyline 360 projects can be opened and edited with Storyline 3 except when they include new features that exist only in Storyline 360. Storyline 3 projects can always be opened and edited with Storyline 360.

Storyline 2 projects can be upgraded to Storyline 3, but Storyline 3 projects can’t be opened or edited with Storyline 2.

You won't be able to use any version of Storyline to save back to a previous version of Storyline.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.