storyline 360 won't shut down.

Jul 20, 2017

Has anyone else had Storyline 360 refuse to shut down in Parallels. I just upgraded today and twice I had to do Ctl-Alt-Del to shut down the program :(. It has never shut down normally :(

24 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hi there, Sylvia!  Hope you're doing well, besides.

I actually had an issue with Storyline 2 not shutting down properly without using task manager for awhile.  It really stumped me.

I worked with our tier 3 support engineers, and they walked me through a few processes that fixed the issue.

Let's start with doing a Repair of Storyline 360.  Be sure to reboot between steps, and when reinstalling, run it as administrator.

Let me know how that works, and we'll take next steps after that!

Sylvia Wright

I followed the instructions for the repair and run as admin, but SL360 will not shut down. I am grateful that it only freezes 360 and not the computer. I also decided to follow the steps for "erratic behavior" of 360, uninstalled 360 after turning off UAC checked the windows framework feature and still it freezes and will not shut down....sigh :(. Is this going to be a perpetual problem? If so I think I'd rather go back to SL2

Leslie McKerchie

Hey Sylvia - Sorry to hear that you've had such a hard time with this. It's certainly not the experience that we would like for you to have.

I've opened a support case on your behalf so that one of our support engineers can dive in a bit deeper with you and see what may be going on and get you back to good working (eh, shutdown?) order.

You should be hearing from someone soon.

Sylvia Wright

Thanks Leslie. I hope it can be resolved. If not I'll move to SL3 since it works flawlessly. I uninstalled 360 because of the frustration and installed a trial copy of SL3 to see if I have the same issues and it works perfectly...so far anyway. Do you know is there an education price for SL3?

Sylvia Wright

Just an update... I switched to SL3 and it worked flawlessly UNTIL this latest update and now it too is freezing and will not shut down. I can work in the program and even save the files, but once I go to exit SL3 freezes. I am currently waiting for replies from the techs at Articulate, but wanted to give an update here.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Fredrik,

I checked in on Sylvia's case and it appears our team reviewed the error logs associated with her computer and saw some errors about a network drive. Can you check that the Storyline program and your .story files are installed and saved on your local C: drive?

If you're still having difficulty, can you connect with our Support team? They'll help you with next steps to dive deeper!

Mark Wiklund

I don't know if this helps, but the problem does not evidence itself until 360 has been opened once, then closed, and then re-opened. In other words, it's on the second session (during the same PC/Windows session) that the inability to close 360 occurs.
Thanks for working on it,
Mark

= = = =

Mark Wiklund
MIT - IS&T Knowledge Management team
W92-254K
617-253-0686

Ren Gomez
Hi Everyone, 

I want to let you know that we just released Update 35 for the Articulate 360 Desktop App! Here are the details.

One of the fixes addresses the issue where the Articulate 360 desktop app wouldn't always minimize to the system tray when clicking the Close (X) button.

Just launch Articulate 360 on your computer and click the Update button!
Ren Gomez

Hi Brenda,

Thanks for reaching out, and I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with our software. To help clarify, the bug where the Articulate 360 Desktop App was not closing when clicking the (X) was resolved over a year ago.

Storyline 360 freezing is a separate issue and could be due to other reasons such as saving your file on a network drive or cloud-syncing. I see that you've recently connected with my teammate, Ronaziel, on this and she's shared some helpful tips.

If you see this happening again, be sure to reply back, and she can troubleshoot further with you!