Storyline crash when saving screen recording

Hi there, hope someone can help.

I have a recurring issue where Storyline crashes when clicking 'done' after a screen recording. It does this everytime. The 'Saving' box remains open, showing 0%. The Storyline icon on the taskbar dissapears. And it doesnt show as an application in TaskManager.

The 'Saving 0%' dialogue box remains op top permanently and no amount of waiting will result in the screen recording saving and returning to the project. In this state all other applications work, open + close etc (albeit with the 'Saving..0%' dox forever on top) but the computer wont shut down or restart, just hangs indefinitely. The only escape is holding the power off button. I've tried screen recording various different applications, ensuring all other applications are closed.

I am opening a new project, saving as, then Insert>Screen Recording. Have also tried Home>Record Screen, though what the difference is I've npo idea; the effect is the same, i.e. crash.

Grateful for any help to resolve

13 Replies
Kevin Foxley

Hugh Gardner said:

Kevin Foxley said:

Hugh,

No Admin rights; Been using this install for a while; Up to date with patches; Was screen recording 2 days ago.  Perhaps uninstall reinstall is the way then?


Depends on how easy it is to get someone with Admin rights to do the uninstall/reinstall for you.  

Bah, Thought I had rights to add/remove progs but no go. I have to make a 5 hour round trip to get someone from IT to do this what a pain. That's Monday's fun sorted out then. I'll let you know if it works.
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Kevin and welcome to Heroes!

Sounds like a long trip ahead of you, so I wanted to share all the potential items you may need to provide to your IT people in terms of repairing Storyline. 

Before you take your trip, you'll want to check that you're following along with these guidelines to prevent erratic behavior:

  • Work on your localdrive (your C: drive). Working on a network drive or a USB drive can causeerratic behavior, including file corruption, loss of audio, and otherunexpected behavior. 
  •  You should also makesure the directory path to your project files and your published output is lessthan 260 characters (for example C:\Articulate).
  • Avoid using specialcharacters, accents or symbols in your file names.

This tutorial will help you repair Storyline and you may also need to repair the supporting Windows software.

Kevin Foxley

Hi there,

Update on this. My IT dept pushed out an update last Weds which disabled local admin and C drive from all machines. Thats probably what's causing the problem. As well as screen recording, the preview function isnt working either which means it cant write to Temp Files. Before IT did the update Storyline was working fine.  This Fri 27th should have it resolved - albeit with another long trip1 - and I'll let you know the outcome.

Many thanks,

Kevin

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Jennifer!

I would follow Ashley's advice above:

check that you're following along with these guidelines to prevent erratic behavior:

  • Work on your localdrive (your C: drive). Working on a network drive or a USB drive can causeerratic behavior, including file corruption, loss of audio, and otherunexpected behavior. 
  •  You should also makesure the directory path to your project files and your published output is lessthan 260 characters (for example C:\Articulate).
  • Avoid using specialcharacters, accents or symbols in your file names.

This tutorial will help you repair Storyline and you may also need to repair the supporting Windows software.

Liam Kind

I know this is an old thread but I was just experiencing this problem for the first time.  I had been able to make recording fine for the past few months then all of a sudden it was freezing up at the end of the recording process.

I check through the guidelines above and was not contravening any of them.  Then the 3rd point about special characters jogged my memory.  Earlier in the week someone from our helpdesk changed my folder settings so that file extensions were displayed (for known filetypes).  I think that this was the cause of the problem.

As soon as I went into the folder settings and told it to hide file extensions it was working fine again.

Maybe something to investigate and add to the guidelines.

Machine = Windows 7 (64bit version)