Storyline Crashes

Nov 05, 2013

Hi,

Sorry, I'm just absolutely frustrated. Just wondering why this product crashes so often? 

Maybe the people who built it know why and if they do could share information that may help prevent the excessive amount of crashes from happening. Perhaps there are running processes that conflict? Who knows...

Why not just release the auto save feature? I have wasted so many hours of my time and my employees time due to lost work it would have been nice to have saved that time with an auto save feature.

14 Replies
Jacob Henenberg

Hi Stephen,

I'm sorry to hear that you're frustrated, and experiencing issues with Articulate Storyline. Our support community here will do our best to assist you.

Please help us to help you by adding a post onto your original thread, rather than creating a separate thread. The issue you are experiencing here is an unfortunate complication to the 'available memory is low' issue you are experiencing, so would probably be best kept to that thread.

Have the threads I posted to you earlier helped you at all?

Hope you are able to get some further assistance to resolve the issue.

Stephen Sockett

These are two different issues. I posted a number of times on crashes and don't get follow up after a few days so I'll keep posting the same issue until I get resolution.

Let's worry more about the product and getting it working properly (a car that stalls every 200 miles is not a very good car no matter what it looks like and how it performs) and less about my posting protocol. BTW, feature requests have been submitted over the last 16 months with no resolution like a auto save feature that would save anyone countless hours of lost time due to these crashes, memory freezes, corrupted modules, etc. 

If tech support was all that concerned they would have reached out at any point in our relationship. They haven't. Not in any meaningful way. Am I the only client you have that is utterly disappointed in the lack of support and product maturity? Oh and please don't refer this to another post.

Thanks and I hope the development team has some tricks up its sleeve.

Bruce Graham

Stephen,

You are obviously frustrated, however...if you log a support call, and do not get resolution, I have always found that Justin, and Magnus and the team are always available for proper escalation. I have had (Skype) conversations with all of them, and also with CTO Arlyn Asch at times.

I agree re Autosave, (have you submitted a Feature Request - I know that many of us, including me have done so?).

Until then, a simple CTRL-S every 5 minutes prevents most catastrophic failures, and is a good housekeeping/personal protocol to work to anyway.

Bruce

Justin Wilcox

Stephen Sockett said:

These are two different issues. I posted a number of times on crashes and don't get follow up after a few days so I'll keep posting the same issue until I get resolution.

Let's worry more about the product and getting it working properly (a car that stalls every 200 miles is not a very good car no matter what it looks like and how it performs) and less about my posting protocol. BTW, feature requests have been submitted over the last 16 months with no resolution like a auto save feature that would save anyone countless hours of lost time due to these crashes, memory freezes, corrupted modules, etc. 

If tech support was all that concerned they would have reached out at any point in our relationship. They haven't. Not in any meaningful way. Am I the only client you have that is utterly disappointed in the lack of support and product maturity? Oh and please don't refer this to another post.

Thanks and I hope the development team has some tricks up its sleeve.

Hi Stephen.

I am sorry to hear that you are disappointed with our support. I will point out to you that we offered to help you out on case 00315284 on January 22nd of this year which you declined. 

We are always willing to help, so if you would like us to help you, let me know and I will put you in touch with someone who can assist you. 

Kathy Hartman

I would also like to know why there is no autosave feature. I have lost hundreds of images and hours and hours of work.   Although I have sent numerous projects to support, they basically respond with the same advice: uninstall software, install latest version, work from my local drive, save often, etc. 

The other day, after actively working on a project for about 15 hours, I closed and saved it.  When I opened it the next day...all the images were gone on 229 slides.  Fortunately it was a copy of the course that I created to scavenge slides and images from.

Justin Wilcox

Hi Kathy.

I apologize for the difficulty you have had with Storyline. There isn't an auto-save feature in Storyline so I would certainly recommend saving frequently as Bruce noted. You may want to consider saving backup copies of your files as well. If there is a case that you would like us to follow up on, please let me know the case number and I will be happy to have someone follow up with you.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi James,

I'm sorry to hear about the lost work and understand your frustration with the lack of an auto save feature. It's something that a number of users have requested as a feature for future versions of Storyline. In the meantime, if Storyline is crashing on a regular basis, it's something that we'd be happy to take a look at and see if there are other things that could be interfering with your Storyline program. 

You'll also want to confirm that you're following along with the general guidelines here for working on Storyline files from your local drive, as working on a network or USB drive can cause erratic behavior. 

Laurie Kane

I think this issue points to Storyline just being an amateur application.

Contact support? Yeah, like professionals have time to stop work for a day while waiting for a response.

I think everyone who has used it expensively know that crashes happen, often enough for this feature to be a no-brainer.

Articulate need to have a serious look at themselves - I will never recommend this product until this is addressed.

Steve McAneney

Laurie Kane said:

Contact support? Yeah, like professionals have time to stop work for a day while waiting for a response.

I think everyone who has used it expensively know that crashes happen, often enough for this feature to be a no-brainer.

Articulate need to have a serious look at themselves - I will never recommend this product until this is addressed.

Laurie, looking at your previous posts I see that you have always received great support from the community. So why are you suddenly digging up posts for a year ago? If you had a crash, then please submit some useful information (like you did in your other posts) and maybe someone can help you. 

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Laurie,

If Storyline is crashing, we'd certainly want to know about it - which is why we generally will recommend submitting a support case, so that we can take a look at any error logs associated with the computer as described here.  First, we'll want to know if you've adhered to the general guidelines here in terms of working with Storyline files and then if you've conducted the repair detailed here recently.   Also as Steve mentioned, sharing more details here in the forums regarding your computer set up and what happens may strike a chord for a community member who has experienced a similar scenario and determined a solution. 

Justin Wilcox

Laurie Kane said:

Hi Laurie.

Sorry to hear about the difficulty. I would suggest that you follow the steps outlined in this article to see if they help you out. If you continue to have difficulty, you can submit a case here. We typically respond to cases within the hour to a couple of hours. If you do submit a case, let me know the case number and I'll make sure your case is assigned to the appropriate folks. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.