Storyline Crashing

Jul 24, 2014

We're having a lot of problems with Storyline crashing. This has been an issue since we started using the program. We love Storyline, but the crashes hold us back, especially since there is no auto save. We've done the following, but we're still having issues.

• Work on your local drive (your C: drive). Working on a network drive or a USB drive can cause erratic behavior, including file corruption, loss of audio, and other unexpected behavior.
  • You should also make sure the directory path to your project files and your published output is less than 260 characters (for example C:\Articulate).
  • Avoid using special characters, accents or symbols in your file names.
  • We have also reinstalled Storyline on all computers.

This is happening to all developers, regardless of the particular project. We were wondering if it may be a problem with our computers or our setup. While I was working with a 32-bit Operating System, the problem was significantly worse. Since changing to a 64-bit, it has improved, but the crashes are still happening. We've also noticed that the problems occurs most frequently when playing the timeline or previewing slides.

Our IT department hasn't uncovered any issue, but we may look into upgrading our computers. We know that storyline can run on our computers as they are, but we were hoping you might guide us to find the ideal upgrades. Perhaps there is a solution we're not aware of.

We are currently running Windows 7 Professional

Processor: Intel (R) Core(TM) i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30 GHz 3.30 GHz

RAM: 8.00 GB (7.88 GB usable)

64 bit

We appreciate any help you can offer.

6 Replies
Christine Hendrickson

Hi Rachel,

Welcome to E-Learning Heroes!

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you've had with this. Hopefully we can determine the cause and get this running smoothly for you.

First, I would recommend checking your administrative privileges on your machine(s). You may or may not need your IT Department's assistance with this. First, it may help to just try to launch Storyline by right-clicking on the shortcut and selecting "Run as administrator". Create a new file and add some test content. Try to recreate whatever would normally trigger the crashing, if possible and see if there are any improvements.

You may also want to make sure that you're running the most recent version of Storyline, Update 6.

Click here toview the list of changes made in the new update.

Click here to downloadUpdate 6.

If you're already working locally with your Storyline project files and you've updated, it may help to run a quick repair:

Articulate Support - How to Repair Articulate Storyline

If running the repair does not solve the problem, please try following the troubleshooting steps outlined in the following article:

Unexpected or Erratic Behavior in Articulate Storyline

Please let us know how it goes!

Christine

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.