Storyline Player/Quiz Slides Failing 508 Compliance Test

Sep 18, 2020

Hi,

I have been trying to get past a 508 Compliance Review but the Storyline Player keeps failing. I have tried the Classic and Modern Player and have the following issues that I cannot figure out how to resolve:

1. "While navigating from top of the page the tab focus moves incorrectly in the following order:
    'Back to top' link> Next button> Prev button> Seek Slider> CC button> Volume button> Menu link> Links under 'Menu' section> Hamburger Menu button> Navigation link> Resources link." While navigating from top of the page the tab focus should move correctly in the following order:
    Menu link> Links under 'Menu' section> Hamburger Menu button> Resources link> Navigation link > 'Back to top' link> Volume button> CC button> Sleek slider> Prev button> Next button
  2. ARIA input field doesn't have an accessible name.
  3. Application contains same ID for different elements.
  4. <iframe> and <frame> elements doesn't contain a non-empty title attribute.
  5. 'Search' edit field is unlabelled.
  6. No role is provided to the links present under the 'Menu' section.

I also have a failed issue on the quiz question slides. I have text and audio on the slide that states if the learner has passed, failed, or needs to try again but I received the following on the failure report.

1. On submitting the answer options the screen doesn't announce the wrong/ right answer alert message at all.

Is anyone able to help me resolve these issues?

1 Reply
Lauren Connelly

Hello Stephanie!

Great questions! I'm happy to clarify!

We don't currently offer a way to customize the Player Tab Order, so what you're seeing is expected behavior. First, you'll access the slide content, the "skip navigation button" if it's enabled, the navigation buttons, seekbar (if enabled), volume, menu, menu contents, menu collapsed icon, and resources. 

Semantic formatting is currently on our feature roadmap, which includes ARIA labels and attributes.

The Search field should be read off appropriately by a screen reader. I've tested this using NVDA, and I'm hearing "Search" when I select the search icon, and the "Edit Search" when selecting the search box. Please let me know if you hear anything different.

Lastly, if a screen reader isn't announcing whether the answer is correct/incorrect, then I'd look at the tab order for your Feedback Layers. Make sure the correct/incorrect text boxes are at the top of the tab order. 

Let me know if you have any questions!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.