Storyline Quiz

May 15, 2021

Hi All,

Please assist here, I have never worked with variables and seems like what I want to create will require variables. I have 4 blocks.

• When I click on the 1st block I want to get a message "First incorrect choice: Strike 1, give it another try."
  • When I select the 2nd block I want to see "Second incorrect choice: Look at the bright side, now you have a 50/50 chance.
  • When I select the 3rd block I want to see "Third incorrect choice:

I guess there is only one choice left."

• When I click the 4th one I want to see : "

You’re correct. "

I really don't know where to start. Any documentation that I can read on will be great!!

4 Replies
Walt Hamilton

I got home last night, and the cat insisted he had not been fed all day, and was STARVING. I hadn't been there all day, so I didn't know, and my wife was off to her quilting party, so I couldn't ask her. Fortunately, she left a note on the counter that said "I fed the cat", so I knew not to feed him again.

The note she left me is the variable. I couldn't see her feed the cat, but I could see the note and know what went on while I was gone. Storyline is just like I was. One slide has no way of knowing what happens on another slide, but it can read a message left for it in a variable, and know what the learner did on another slide, provided you, the developer used those actions on that other slide to change the contents of a variable.

The cat got pretty insistent, so I gave him a snack, crossed out her message, and wrote, "He's also had a bedtime snack", and went to my meeting.

The note is the variable. Everybody can see it, and it never changes unless you, the author, create a trigger to change it.

My wife is getting older (I'm not, just she), and takes a bunch of medicines. She puts them in one of those little plastic gadgets with seven boxes. Every night, (if she remembers :) ) she looks in the box for that day. If it is empty, she knows she has taken her pills that day.

The pill box is the variable. She can't always remember everything, but if the box has pills in it, she knows to take them.

Here's a sample of using variables to keep track of what is happening. In this case, it all happens on one slide.

Percy Letsoal

Here is what I managed to do. I want to reveal the correct answer after the user select the 3rd incorrect answer because at that moment there is only 1 obvious answer. The other issue I am facing is that after I try again the incorrect circle selected doesnt reset. How can fix that?

Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Percy.

If you add the ovals to a button set, then only one will be in selected mode at any given time. This will solve both issues you stated above.

Select all the ovals, right-click and choose Button Set, then Button Set 1. 

Screen Recording 2021-05-17 at 09.43.38 AM

Let me know if this works!

I also want to say, Walt, that was an award-winning metaphor for variables!