Storyline quiz in SCORM 2004 v3 complete or show score

Feb 03, 2014

Some colleagues created a quiz in Storyline and applied SCORM 2004 v3.  When posted in our LMS (Saba) the quiz will not transfer a score or show up as completed in the LMS when a passing score is achieved.  One thing we have noticed is that no line containing a mastery score appears in the imsmanifest.xml file.  Not sure if that makes a difference since, at the recommendation of the LMS vendor, we have been deleting the mastery score line from the imsmanifest.xml file anyway to make repeating a test go easier if a user does not pass (an apparent quirk that the content people at Saba have noticed)

Is there something else we should be looking for.  Or does anyone have other suggestions for resolving this issue?  thanks

8 Replies
Justin Grenier

Good Afternoon, Terry.

Two really useful steps you can take are as follows:

1. Test your content at SCORM Cloud, which is an industry-standard tool for testing SCORM content.  This will tell you if the problem is specific to your LMS or is more global.
  2. Enable LMS Debug Mode and check to see what cmi.completion_status, cmi.success_status, and cmi.score.raw values your content is sending to your LMS.  Then, if it looks like your content is sending the proper information to your LMS, you can share the resulting LMS Debug Log with their Support Team to see why the same information is not being recorded in Saba.

Please let us know if you need anything else, and have a great day!

Brian Aucoin

Jusitn;

I'm working with Terry on this issue. I launched couse in debug mode and failed it on purpose. I'm attaching the debug log. The completion status is Incomplete and the score is 0.5 which are correct.  However the success staus says Unknown.  Is that supposed to be that way?

I took it again and passed with an 90 % but still seeing unknown with cmi.success_status (see passed_debug file) .  The quiz is set with a passing score of 80% in Storyline but it seems to want 100% in order for it to complete properly.  Thanks!

Justin Grenier

Good Afternoon Brian, and welcome to Heroes!

When you publish a Storyline project for LMS, you can Report status to LMS in one of four ways:

• Passed/Incomplete
  • Passed/Failed
  • Completed/Incomplete
  • Completed/Failed

If you find that cmi.success_status=unknown regardless of whether or not you pass the course, it sounds like you may be publishing with a setting of Completed/Incomplete, and you are welcome to play with the other three LMS Reporting options to see if one of them produces the results you are looking for.

If this doesn't give you what you're looking for, or if you'd like to work one-on-one more closely with a member of our Support Team at any time, please feel free to send us a copy of your .story project file so that we can take a closer look at the problem.

Please let us know if you need anything else, and have a great day!

Brian Aucoin

Correct we always have used Completed/Incomplete as we thought that provided the most consistent results. I'am attaching the Storyline file. We didn't develop this particular prokject but were called in to troubleshoot the completion behavior. Terry and II feel that although the pasng score is set to 80% it seems to require 100% to function propelry.  BTW we have a Platnium Membership Plan with Storyline. If you need a serial # to verify let mw know. Thanks!

Justin Grenier

Hello again, Brian.

Right now, you are posting in a public Community Forum that is regularly monitored by staff from Articulate.  As a Platinum Member, you're entitled to priority support, and you'll want to bookmark the special URL you received when you purchased your Platinum Membership Plan, then use that URL whenever contacting Articulate Customer Support to ensure you receive priority support.  Just in case you've misplaced that email, I will send you a private message with the URL included, and at that URL, you'll have the option to submit a case with priority response time or connect with a Support Engineer via the Live Chat option (during available hours).

Within the LMS Debug Log you attached above, your Storyline content is sending the following data:

• On Line 170, cmi.completion_status=incomplete
  • On Line 1284, cmi.score.raw=50

Are you saying that during the attempt in question, you achieved a different result than a score of 50 and a status of incomplete?  If so, it sounds like your content might not be reporting the proper score and status to your LMS, and that is something that Articulate can help you to troubleshoot.

However, if you are saying that during the attempt in question, you did indeed achieve a score of 50 and a status of incomplete, but that this score and/or status was not properly recorded within your LMS, I would advise sharing the above LMS Debug Log with your LMS vendor and asking them why your content reported one thing to the LMS, but the LMS seems to have recorded something different.

Please let us know if you need anything else.  Thanks!

Brian Aucoin

In the first attempt the LMS received and processed the score of 50% and incomplete. The issue is with the 2nd attempt where I passed it with a 90% the score but the LMS status stays incomplete. The cmi.completion_status=incomplete on line 153 of the debug (see attached). However the status says complete further down in the file so I'm not certain what info Articulate is sending.

The SL project appears to have a passing score of 80% so it should have completed with a score of 90%. The odd thing is if we get 100% it completes in the LMS.  Thanks.

Justin Grenier

Hello again, Brian.

Within your most recently-attached LMS Debug Log, the final cmi.completion_status is being set to completed, and the final cmi.score.raw is being set to 90.  If the LMS status and/or score do not reflect these values, I would highly recommend sharing this LMS Debug Log with Saba to ask them why.  Good luck with your project!

satish murthy

Hello Justin,

We use Oracle LMS and not getting interaction report from SCORM 1.2. We have been suggested to use SCORM 2004 (2nd Ed onwards), the challenge here is we get interaction report but mastery score is not available in imanifest file post publishing in SCORM 2004. Any work around for this issue, pls advise