Storyline sets completion twice in LMS

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem before. I've created a trigger in my LMS to send an email when a user completes my Storyline 3 course (published as HTML5, SCORM 1.2), and what happens is I wind up getting two emails every time. After doing some debugging I found that Storyline is actually setting completion twice. It first sends a SCORM command of API.LMSSetValue("cmi.core.lesson_status", "completed") and then follows by a second SCORM command of API.LMSSetValue("cmi.core.lesson_status", "passed"). So what happens then is the LMS thinks that it should set completion twice and therefore sends the email twice. I wonder if anyone knows why this would happen, or how to prevent this from happening? Thanks.

5 Replies
Jothan Sargent

Hi Lauren, thanks for the reply. The LMS is a home-grown one which I am the author/creator of. We currently only support SCORM 1.2. The completion trigger is set up to be when you have viewed all of the slides (so it reports completion on the last slide). We're using Storyline 3 so we don't have the completion trigger you get with Storyline 360. I was able to trace the SCORM calls and determine that Storyline is calling two SCORM completion commands as described in my post (once with "completed" and once with "passed").

Lauren Connelly

Hi Jothan!

Have you tested the course in another LMS? If so, do you still receive both results? I'm happy to test your file in another LMS. You can share your file with us by using the "add attachment" button in this discussion. Or you can share the file privately with our Support Engineers by using this link.

Jothan Sargent

Hi Lauren, thanks for getting back to me. One thing I have tried since we communicated last is to change our publish settings in Storyline to use Completed/Incomplete for the status when setting completion. Apparently it was previously set to Passed/Incomplete. I don't think that matters for our LMS since I've set it up to handle either status message, but most other LMSs seem to standardize on Complete/Incomplete as the preferred status so we try to always publish that way. That particular change seemed to have no effect on my issue.

You had a good idea to try this in another LMS. I use scorm.com for testing purposes, so maybe I will try it out there and look at the SCORM calls and see what is happening there. If I need to escalate this I will get the source file over to you for further investigation. Thanks.