Storyline Timeline ends issue--how do I make sure learners have done all slide activities

Dec 08, 2020

Hi again, Thanks, Renato, for suggestion on embedding (vs. linking to) videos.  I've done that and set variable to when media ends. Now I want to link back to navigation page and show that the activities (watching videos) are complete. I've tried various variable configurations, none of which get me what I want. Ideas?

Thank you!

Mary

3 Replies
Mateusz Szuter

You have correctly assigned the Variables, so you are halfway there.

I guess you want to achieve something like on my screen?
So, make 6 objects like that (that's oval shape, and with text editing, I've pasted 'tick' from Character Map from wingdings font) - set their initial state to hidden.

Now set trigger: Change state of object Oval 1 when the timeline starts IF your_variable = true. That's all. Repeat for all objects.

Also, I've seen you used trigger "Set X state to visted when user click" - you don't need to do that. State visited is automatically assigned when the object is clicked (if state exists of course). This same goes for hover. So remember - hover and visited states are done automatically by storyline :)

PS If i can give you a piece of advice... Keep videos width to height ratio. Insert them again, and resize using one of the corners and shift key down. Now they look... terrible and no one will see what's going on there :)

And BTW the defualt suggested by Storyline story size, 720x540px, is terrible also. We are in HD and 16:9 ratio for like +10 years, almose no one uses 4:3 displays. Maybe you can consider changing story size in your next project. :)

Mary Burns

Hi there:

Two things: 

1. Can you give me exact dimensions here? What size should they be?

Keep videos width to height ratio. Insert them again, and resize using one of the corners and shift key down. Now they look... terrible and no one will see what's going on there :)

And BTW the default suggested by Storyline story size, 720x540px, is terrible also. We are in HD and 16:9 ratio for like +10 years, almost no one uses 4:3 displays. Maybe you can consider changing story size in your next project. :)

2. I'm not explaining myself well. Image one is the video page. When they finish watching all those videos (via image 1), what trigger do I create so that when they click on the Home icon and go back to the navigation page (image 2), each nav menu item (Social Media, Standalone Tools, Considerations) changes to "complete"?

Thank you,

Mary