Storyline variable not being set

I've set up a 6-slide project as a test (attached), but it’s not working as intended. It’s meant to run through the slides in this order:

  1. Topic list (slide 1)
  2. Topic 1 (slides 2 and 3)
  3. Return to slide 1
  4. Topic 2 (slides 4 and 5)
  5. Return to slide 1
  6. Topic 3 (slide 6)

Slide 3 sets a true/false variable to true to show that it’s been visited, but for some reason it’s always false. So when triggers on the Next button on slide 1 check the variable, they always advance to slide 2 instead of recognising that the topic’s already been done.

I’d really appreciate any help in working out what’s going wrong.

Thanks!

8 Replies
Craig Hadden - Remote Possiblities

Wendy Farmer said:

Hi Craig

I think this is what you are after


Thanks very much Wendy!

I don't know why that works though. When I run your version, the variable gets sets to true (as shown on the slides), but in my version it remains false.

Even though I've now amended the 2 files so they seem to be identical, your version works and mine still doesn't.

So, what did you change to make the variable show as true?

Akash Jambhorkar

Hi craig,

You have to adjust variable done1(variable change to True)  on 2 nd page of topic 1(when timeline start)
same adjust variable done2(variable change to True) on 2nd page of topic 2(when timeline start)
& adjust variable done3(variable change to True) on 1st page of topic 3(when timeline start)

Eg

And In your first page i.e. topic list page add jump to trigger with condition
Eg.

Akash Jambhorkar

Hi craig,

Here In your storyline file you use done1 ,done2 & done3 variable & set default value is false.
You change this value  again in false that why create problem.


At the run time your done1 is false state  that' why storyline always run first trigger i.e. jump to 1.2.
so  only I change trigger & condition. now your demo slides are run properly. 

Try to adjust variable & condition same as above screen snap, I think it will definitely help you.

Craig Hadden - Remote Possiblities

Thank you both for your help, which showed the cause of the problem.

It seems it was a bug in Storyline, because the Triggers panel said the variable was being set to true, but when I double-clicked on the trigger, the wizard showed that it was actually being set to false!


Having only corrected that trigger, the original file now works as intended. So again, thank you for your quick and helpful responses.

(P.S. I've now reported the bug to Articulate.)

Ashley Terwilliger

Hi Craig,

I just wanted to share the update from Jayem here for anyone else following along in this thread:

I tested the project from the link you provided and was able to reproduce the issue. After changing the value of the variable, the triggers panel now reflects the true value. This seems like a glitch in Storyline. 

I noticed that the file-name contains several plus symbols. To avoid this erratic behavior, as well as file corruption, loss of resources and other unexpected behaviors, the following should be met on your side: 

1. Do NOT save or work from your network or USB drive. It is best to save your project files on your local drive such as your C: drive. 

2. You should also make sure the directory path to your project files and your published output is less than 260 characters (for example C:\Articulate). 

3. Avoid using special characters, accents or symbols in your file names. 

Additional information regarding "Naming Files, Paths, and Namespaces" in Windows operating systems can be found in the following Microsoft article: 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365247%28VS.85%29.aspx 

Please let us know if you need anything else.