Storyline360 bug with Record Screen

Apr 18, 2018

There seems to be a serious issue with Storyline Record Screen option. If I record a screencast and use the view mode (step-by-step), I get one slide with the first few seconds of the recording. The actual recording is over 11 minutes long. Is this feature working (or supposed to work) in the latest version of the product?

16 Replies
Joshua Crigger

Hi there Dave,

Sorry to hear the step-by-step view mode in your screen recording is not working at the moment. I just tested this in the latest version of Storyline 360 using the Insert As: Step-by-step slides option and leaving the other defaults as seen below:

screenshot

The screenshot above is from a very small 9-second video, however, I did test with a longer couple minute long video and found this to record and render just fine with each step as it's own slide. See the attached .story file for that example

Have you tried this again? Are you running into the same issues? What options are you selecting in the menus shown in the screenshot above? Anything special about your setup? Are you running on a legacy machine or anything like that?

Let us know!

Dave Schulz

Thanks, Joshua. I think there may be an issue with what I am recording. In my project, I am recording script typed into a terminal window (no mouse)... if I render this as a video, it puts everything into one slide. That is fine, if I am doing just a video. The view more only creates one screen per slide that is initiated by the click of the mouse (like a camera) and doesn't capture someone typing on the screen.  It appears that I need to record and edit each section of the video mode and piece it together.  Other thoughts that might help?

Dave Schulz

This has now become a critical issue... the step-by-step does not capture text typed on the screen. So, I used the video and decided to cut it up into different clips and add it together into a slide, where I can then add my script. Storyline apparently does not like having multiple clips and is crashing continually. I may have bail on Storyline for this project. Very unfortunate. Anybody have any ideas?

Dave Schulz

So... I have come up with a workaround on this issue.... you can only add so many screencast clips to a single slide. When I added the ninth clip... Storyline crashed. So, now I am keeping it to 2-3 at the max and distributing it over a number of slides so the audio track can be added later. Still a bug that Articulate needs to address. But not sure if they read this stuff out here on the forum. 

Dave Schulz

Sorry for the added posts, but if it will help someone... then that is a good thing. The record procedure here is best done using a different product... in this case, I use Camtasia. Do the recording and audio editing there, then import back into Storyline to produce the final HTML5 project. Lesson Learned: Use the right tool for the job. Not every toll does all things.

Joshua Crigger

Hey Dave,

Sorry for the late reply and that this did not work well to meet your needs. I was unable to test this so far but am wondering if you could work around the issue with textual input into terminal not triggering different clips by simply clicking in the Terminal window each time you have a new step. 

You may be able to then go in and adjust the playback to trim these clicks for a cleaner output. I will test later and let you know what I find.

As for if the Articulate staff reads these posts, Yeah they sure do! I see them in the community constantly providing some amazing support. For instance, Ashley Terwilliger has over 50k posts). There are a lot of posts each day though and I think they may have their hands full.  If you ever need more pointed, direct support or need to log a bug you can reach out directly to them by submitting a case.

Joshua Crigger

HI Dave, I was able to test this further this evening and found that simply clicking at each point in your process that you want a new slide with directions included works amazingly (see attached file). It's simple and easy enough to edit afterwards if you really don't like having the click in there.

Seems you have already moved on to using Camtasia for this project you are currently working on. I just want you to know this works for your future products as I do see great value having therest of the Storyline 360 tools in at your disposal for this project as well if needed.

Hope this helps!

Dave Schulz

Thanks, Joshua. It appears that the biggest feature that I need here is to be able to edit the video file. So, if I have the recorded file, and add a voice over... there will need to be points in the video where I need to split the video at certain point, and move it. Copy, paste, and extend certain section to make sure that it matches the audio. I noticed the video edits was quite limited in the slide to trim and crop. Could I be missing a feature that I am not aware of?  I really appreciate your help.

Joshua Crigger

Hey Dave,

Glad the example I provide was helpful. As to how I created this, I will start by stating that on my side I am seeing this as a project with 4 different slides. I selected: Step-by-step slides under the 'insert as' section and left everything else as default.

To clear up any confusion I have created a quick video to show this in action with the creation of a new video which can be viewed here. I love how easy this was to make. It resulted in 6 slides and proceeds cleanly from one slide to another.

Want to give that a go?

Dave Schulz

Thanks, Joshua!  I really appreciate you taking the time to do this video. It was really helpful. I have another screen capture to do today, so I am going to give it a try. Question... What determines WHEN the recording puts the capture on a new slide?  Is it the mouse click that causes Storyline to proceed to the next slide?  That could have been my issue since everything I was doing, did not require a mouse click (just typing at the command prompt). Thanks again! You have been extremely helpful and I truly appreciate it.

Joshua Crigger

You're so welcome Dave!

From the testing I have done a new slide is created anytime you click on the screen. I also found that after I click on the screen the next action I perform in the Command Prompt is also recorded. 

For instance, if I click the Command Prompt window and then type a series of commands, all of this will be captured as two slides. One slide for the click and all of the commands as another slide. I can then click the window again to have a new breaking point created and type in more textual input. 

That said, My suggestion would be to click on the command prompt window anytime you are needing a new slide created. If you give this a try you will see what I mean. You should give it a test though as it takes some getting used to. 

Enjoy!

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Dave!

The best way to split a video clip would be to make a copy of the video, then trim the end of the first video and the beginning of the second video. This will essentially split the original video into two segments. 

Can you tell me more about what you want to accomplish by extending a section? Do you want to pause the video on a particular frame for an extended period of time?

Dave Schulz

Thanks for the information, Alyssa. I understand the concept of how you use the trim. However, that becomes very difficult in storyline and not easy to line things up. So, I am needing to create a task (for example that might be 30 seconds long in a single slide. Let's say there are three actions. And, I use the screen record to do this and it lines up as 5 seconds, 10 seconds, and 15 seconds. However, when I add the audio to the project. I need to realign these three tasks in a single video clip to 15, 20, 25 seconds respectively.

Now, I can do this in Camtasia by taking the video clip (mp4 or wav)... splitting it at the 3 relevant points in the clip and moving them to the required points (15, 20, 25 sec mark). At the end of each clip... I can choose to extend the last frame of that clip to fill in the open area to make it appears as if it was recorded along with the audio. However, that is the video editing capabilities that Camtasia has. I cannot do this in Storyline. And editing is much more difficult, in that pausing does NOT display the slide as it is occurs at that time... it displays all elements at any moment throughout the clip. There is a lack of a scrub feature where I can drag the cursor in the timeline and get a visual flaw of what is happening. Or... am I missing something, or a feature that I am not aware of?

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Dave,

I hear you, and that makes sense. In Storyline, you can move the timeline playhead, and the objects and videos on the slide should update accordingly. However, Storyline's video editing capabilities aren't as robust as Camtasia's. 

I'll certainly pass along your feedback on our video editing tools with our Product team. We always appreciate hearing how we can improve features to work smarter for you, so thanks for sharing your ideas!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.