Studio vs Storyline

Sep 08, 2020

Hi all,

We're looking to make the most of our Articulate suite and I was wondering if anyone has tried Studio rather than Storyline to create modules?

As far as I can tell from the 'About' they are presentation-based courses, not too dissimilar from Storyline, unless anyone would like to correct my ignorance.

Thanks in advance

4 Replies
Judy Nollet

Hi, Charlie,

I used Studio back when that was the only Articulate option. Since Storyline became available, I've been using that. I've also played around a bit in Rise.  Here's my overview:

• Studio (which includes Presenter, Engage, and Quizmaker) is an add-in to PowerPoint. In other words, you set up the course within a PPT file (which is the "Presenter" part). Engage allows you to create standard interactions by simply filling in the blanks (i.e., it's form based). QuizMaker lets you create quizzes in a similar fashion. Those files are inserted into the PowerPoint and become seamlessly integrated into the course when it's published. Studio courses are not responsive, that is, the content won't re-arrange itself to fit the viewing device. You are also limited to using the interactions and question types available in Engage and QuizMaker. However, the software is quite easy to use.
  • Storyline gives you complete control over your slides, which allows for more complex interactions. It doesn't provide form-based interactions, but there are plenty of pre-built templates available. Thus, it requires more expertise to use. The published content is not responsive. BTW, you can design courses with all custom navigation, so they don't have to be "presentation based." 
  • Rise is cloud-based software. It is similar to Studio in that it includes pre-built interactions and quiz questions. If needed, you can insert custom Storyline interactions. Unlike Studio and Storyline, Rise courses are responsive.

All 3 options allow you to publish for an LMS (for tracking progress and completion) or just for the web. 

So which to use? You'll need to determine that based on what you need in your courses, your development process, etc. 

Good luck!

Steve Hazelton

Hi Charlie -

I use Presenter when I have a straightforward PPT that I pretty much want to dump into SCORM to publish to our LMS. I don't like how Engage and Quizmaker work within PPT so if there will be any activities like those I go immediately to Storyline. I do wish, however, that Storyline had some of the Engage simplicity for those activities.

If I am going to make the course at all interactive, I go right to Storyline. I like embedded quiz questions with loop-back or branching to review the content, and Storyline is great for that.

Some SMEs like to see PPT slides back for their final peek at the wording and slide layout and don't quite "get" Review. Sometimes I send them the Word document view but that can be quite confusing if you have layers. I have on occasion gotten all of the wording and layout down in PPT and then moved it to Storyline for the interactivity.

Bottom line - I'm glad I've got both. I use Storyline about 90% of the time but I wouldn't want to give up Presenter.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.