Submission after Assessment Review gives over 100%

Aug 03, 2016

Hi All,

I've created an assessment on Storyline and have given an option to the test taker to review the answers before they submit the test finally. Once they select the "Review Answers" button, it takes them back to the first question slide where they can go through the answers they have chosen and their original choices are highlighted.

However, since the trigger is set to add a value of +10 everytime they select the correct answer, when they review the test, anytime they click a correct option, the trigger is activated and they get points added to their final score result.

For example, when I review my test, if I have already chosen the right answer, I have 10 points originally. So if I click the option again, since I already have 10 points, I get 10 more added and this goes for every slide. So what I end up with is like 140% , 130% and so on... Is there a condition that I should be adding to stop this from happening?

What would be the best way to solve this problem? Help would be greatly appreciated.

10 Replies
James Nannety

Hi Ron, 

I am using the Quiz features in Storyline to build my questions. I have built in a Review quiz option for the user to have the option of changing their answers BEFORE they submit the quiz. However, when they try to change the answers, the score keeps accumulating (since the trigger for the correct answer is +10 points).

The built-in Review on the Results slide is to view the answers after the user has received a score, right?

James Nannety

Hi Tracy, 

I have the Review slide and that works fine. I can see all the answers I got right and wrong. 

I have added an option saying "Review Choices", BEFORE the submit button that shows the user his current choices and allows him to change. During this, if they have chosen the correct answer and click the correct answer again, then they get 2 times the score for that question and 3 times the score if they click it again and so on. How do I avoid this? 

Wendy Farmer

Hi James

do you have the 'reset results' trigger to set the score back to 0 before they review their choices - this would be why it's adding.  The issue is going to be if they decide not change any answers they'll end up with an incorrect result.

Would it be possible to have a slide before the result slide maybe that allows them to review before they get to the actual result slide?

James Nannety

Hi Wendy, 

I want to keep their original choices but have the option to change them if they choose a different option. Yeah, as you said, it would be an incorrect result if they decide not to change their answers

Right now, the "Review Choices" button is on the very last question of the quiz, so they can review their choices (and change them if they want) or just submit their current choice as final submission that takes them to the review slides.

Ron Price

One option is to consider the Submit All At Once style quiz.  By default, question slides in Articulate Storyline have a Submit button, meaning each question will be submitted one at a time for evaluation and feedback will be displayed immediately. To have all the questions be submitted at the same time at the end of the quiz, just change the navigation controls from Submit buttons to Prev/Next buttons.   For this to work in your design, you would probably want to also create your own variables on each quiz slide.  You could use those variables to create a "Pre-Review" slide that show them which questions they answered correctly or incorrectly. That slide would contain the option to go back and review and edit.  The slide following that slide would be the actual Result Slide that you will use for tracking.  This would allow the user to go back and make changes freely.  You may just want to add a message on your "fake" result - that lets them know they can no longer edit after clicking next.

A little extra work, but pretty doable.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.