Submitting results to LMS

Nov 24, 2014

Hello there. Can anyone help with the following?:

I'm looking to use a quiz/results slide to submit a score to an LMS. I want the user to be able to take the quiz as many times as they want and for the highest score to be passed onto the LMS.

- When revisiting, what should the quiz slides be set to?

- When revisiting, what should the results slide be set to?

Any other tips to make this work?

Thanks in advance!

7 Replies
Wendy Farmer

Hi Richard

attached is a zip of screenshots for how I would set up the quiz slide (unlimited attempts) and then the areas of the results slide and also the publishing options you should look at.

Depends what LMS you are working with as to what settings you use so you might need to followup with your LMS admin

I always set up a sample project of a few slides, publish and load to LMS to make sure it behaves how I want it to.

Good luck!

Oops forgot, the quiz slides should be 'Automatically decide'. The results slide should have an automatic trigger assigned to the RETRY QUIZ button that resets its results and it will reset all the question slides being tracked in your result slide.

Emily Ruby

Hello Richard!

Make sure the results slide has the "retry quiz" option selected in its properties. You will want to set the quiz slides to reset to initial state for when they resume. 

You can use the Automatically decide, but here is the logic for that :  If the slide contains just simple objects and/or audio but no interactivity, Storyline resets the slide to the beginning of the slide’s timeline each time users view the slide.  However, if the slide contains any interactive elements, such as buttons or any other object that includes a visited or selected state, Storyline resumes at the slide’s current state if users view the slide more than once.

As far as the LMS allowing more than one attempt to be recorded, you will want to check with your LMS team regarding how they will handle that. We also recommend testing the courses in the SCORM Cloud to see how they should behave.

Richard M

Thanks for the advice both! Greatly appreciated.

I think I'm sorted now - apart from this:

If I fail the quiz (linked to the results slide), I can click the 'retake quiz' button. If I then pass, it will update my results on the LMS accordingly. All good so far!

HOWEVER - If I fail the quiz, close the browser and enter the course again, I can still resume and re-take the quiz, BUT the new pass score is not updated on LMS. I'm not clicking the 'start a new attempt' button when re-accessing the course.

Any idea on this?

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.