temps files

Jan 03, 2021

HI,

Today when I was saving the project in storline 3 , I got the message saying "there is no enough space in the disk". 

i have alot of temporary files  stored that take up a lot of space. 

can i delete those files ? and keep using the original file of the storyline ?

thank, ricky

4 Replies
Dave Cox

Hi Ricky,

Was, you can, and should delete temp files. Just make sure that they are in fact temp files. 

Windows also stores a lot of temp files that you may need to delete. On most systems, you can check for those temps files here: %systemdrive%\Windows\Temp and %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Temp. You can delete anything found in those folders. If the system blocks you from deleting something, that means the file is in use, so just skip that file.

But this may also be an indication of a bigger problem, no additional space on your hard drive.

Are you on Windows or Mac? 

On windows, you can open your file explorer, right-click on the local hard drive and select  properties to view the amount of space remaining. You also may need to take a look at where you are saving project files. Many PCs today are built with most of the available data space somewhere other than the C: drive. If this is the case, and you are still saving your files on the C: drive, you may quickly run out of space.

I'm sorry, but I'm unable to advise you if you are on a Mac, since I never work with that OS.

If you need some help troubleshooting, please feel free to send me a PM, and I can make arrangements with you to give you some support. 

Dave Cox

Windows creates a lot of temp files as work files and log files during automatic updates, and various other maintenance operations. When it is done, those files are left on the system. That's just the way windows works, and it is a common maintenance item to clean them up. There are several optimization tools that you can find that will look for those files and remove them for you. I would stay away from the free tools though, as many of them have viruses.