Text box issue


I am confused.com... yesterday I worked on an e-lesson and everything worked fine, closed down for the day enjoyed the sunshine.

Ive come into work this morning and opened the same storyline file, and all the text formatting has gone doolally (see image below) every slide I worked on yesterday now appeared with the text outside the boxes, this is completely out of the blue, has anyone else found this error? 

Screen shotAnyone know a fix?

Thanks in advance 

12 Replies
Christie Pollick

Hi, Lucy -- Thanks for reaching out here and sorry to hear of your difficulties! I took a look and I am also not seeing what adjustments could be made to address this behavior, so I'd like to set you up in a case with our Support Engineers for additional technical review. I'll create the case momentarily and you will be hearing from someone via email shortly. 

Tim Danner

I encountered the same thing during our last SL-based project when I was preparing files to send to a contractor. I would import a PowerPoint file into a SL file and apply our layout from the Slide Master. After closing the SL file and reopening it, suddenly all of the text boxes looked like your example. What I noticed is the Wrap Text in Shape feature gets turned off, despite it being checked in the PowerPoint file and initially in SL after the import.

Christie Pollick

Hi, all -- 

Thanks for your input, and I wanted to share the reply sent to Lucy in her case from one of our Support Engineers in case it is helpful to others who experience similar difficulty:

"Thanks for contacting Articulate Support and for sharing your project files. I've reviewed your project file and was able to duplicate the issue you described where the text boxes are off your slide. I haven't experienced the same issue before but I found users reported the same issue here

In order to avoid this issue in the future, please consider these preventative measures to protect your project files: 

1) Articulate Storyline requires Microsoft Windows to be configured with 96 DPI (dots per inch). If Windows is using a different DPI setting, you may experience erratic behavior, such as: 
*  Elements of the application are misplaced or distorted. 
*  Objects are misplaced or distorted when previewed or published. 
*  Zoomed images don't work as expected. 
*  Font sizes are incorrect after using the translation features. 

Here's how to switch to 96 DPI

2) Save and publish projects on your local hard drive. Working on a network drive or external USB drive can cause erratic behavior due to latency. See this article for reference.  

3) Save incrementally. If your app has an AutoRecovery feature, take advantage of it. If not, save a new version of your project every hour or so with a new file name each time. If a file becomes corrupt, you'll still have a working version available. 

4) Install Dropbox. Snapshots of changes in your local Dropbox folder are kept for 30 days. If a file is damaged or deleted, you can restore a previous snapshot.

5) Don't leave the app open and unattended for long periods of time. Some users have reported file corruption after leaving their apps open overnight. It's possible that a malware scan or disk backup could run because the machine is idle, making your app vulnerable to crashing. 

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else!"

Christie Pollick

Hi, Tim -- Thank you for the update you shared above and so sorry to hear that issues persist. As you mentioned that the info shared related to DPI is not working for your files, I might recommend that you contact our Support Engineers directly in case there is something more taking place, and they would be able to share additional technical insights.