The Project "Storyline" is locked by another process

Aug 07, 2019

Hello, this the second time I have had this issue with the first looses hours work.   The first time I was trying to preview 1 scene when the software locked up and and then locking the file.  This time -I just finished doing a screen record and the file was again locked - and I can not open,   What is causing this to keep happening.  i was saving regularly - but it doesn't matter if the file gets locked.

Help!

4 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Thomas,

Help is on the way! That error message indicating a Storyline file is locked by another process is one that often occurs when working on a file that's saved/stored on a network/shared drive. Does that match your environment? I'd look at working locally (C:/ drive) and following along with the other best practices outlined here. 

If a file does become corrupt and you can't open it, there may still be a copy in your temp folders. Here's how to check: 

1. Open this folder in Windows Explorer:  

%appdata%\Articulate\Storyline 

2. Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop. 

3. Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story. 

4. Double-click the file to open it in Storyline. 

Let us know if you need anything else! 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.