Timelines

Jul 22, 2013

Hello there! I am new to articulate storyline and am trying it out as a replacement for flash. One thing that is mystifying me/driving me crazy are the elements on a slide timeline always being visible on the stage, even when the element should be invisible due to it's own timeline being placed before or after where the playbackhead is currently located.

For example: I have a piece of text that pops on screen for a second, then pops off. Its timeline's length is reflected as a small block in my main slide timeline. When I'm previewing the slide it pops on and off as it should, but when I'm working on the slide, the text is always visible, no matter where I am in the main slide timeline  - The only way I can see to hide it is to manually  turn the element layer's visibility off. It is extremely annoying, and slows down my workflow to have to manually turn elements on and off just so I can unclutter the screen enough to see what I'm trying to work on. Am I missing some basic setting that will make the elements visibility preview as they should in production mode?

9 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Bob and welcome to Heroes! 

If you have a number of items on one slide but don't want to see them all at once while you're working, have you thought about splitting some of them into layers within the slide? This would allow you to work on those items individually and be less visually distracting when you're working on the main slide. 

Since you're new to Storyline, you may want to review this article that deals with adding and editing layers. Once you set up the layers you need, you'll then need to determine what triggers each layer, and another article that deals with that is here. 

Hope that helps you out and makes your screen less cluttered!

bob hawley

I appreciate your reply Ashley!

I am familiar with the layer concept, but I'm not sure that would work for me as I am always working with long voice-over files which need to have graphics timed to what is being said. I need to be able to preview the slide frequently to get the timing of the graphics appearances right(and I do use the cue points).  If I move my graphics off of the main timeline to layers, then I would need to break up my audio and move it to individual layers as well so it can be timed properly & previewed, then I would need to set up triggers to initiate each layers content appearance chronologically. This sound like an awful lot of work vs.  the obvious solution, which would be to just have the slide elements on the timeline behave as they would in most other timeline-based programs of this sort(after effects, flash, premiere etc) & become invisible when they are not  appearing onstage per the playback head.

Sounds like what I am looking for is not possible currently, so I'll just have to work around it. Maybe you could pass this onto your development staff as a user wish?

Thanks again!

Harri S

Hi Bob,

If you just want to temporarily hide items while you're working on them just click the eye icon to the left of each item in the timeline. This will hide the item (you just need to remember to unhide it before final publication).

Also, there is a padlock icon too, this allows you to lock down items on the page to help with editing especially when you have a lot of items with overlapping outlines.

Hope this helps

mads nau

Hi Bob and Ashley

I would very much like to agree with Bob, that this is very frustrating and makes timing animations to long speaks a pain, especially comming from a flash and after effects background.

My current workaround is constantly hiding and unhiding layers.

So a request for the viewport to display what is currently active on a specific point on the timeline would be greatly appreciated, and really help my work flow as well. I was gonna submit this request, but sounds like its already been submitted. Would be very interrested in seeing this implemented in a near future,

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.