Too much text!

Dec 09, 2020

Hi all

I was wondering if you knew of a better and more interesting way of displaying transcripts of text?  I have an assessment where a customer is talking to her customer service adviser and there is so much text to display.  It makes it hard to concentrate and really isn't what I would call elearning.

Thanks in advance, Tina

3 Replies
Ned Whiteley

Hi Tina,

Have you considered the option of setting up a scenario either in Storyline or Rise? Without seeing the full extent of the text you have to get across, it is a bit difficult to determine if this would work or not, but if the customer is meant to be talking to the service advisor, a scenario might be a good option.

The customer could have options of what they want to ask and the service advisor could then reply accordingly, depending on which option the customer chose. Your slide would have your service advisor character on it and their poses / expressions could change depending on the answer supplied, which would make the experience appear more interactive.

https://community.articulate.com/e-learning-examples/storyline-360-customer-service-scenario

https://community.articulate.com/e-learning-examples/rise-360-ace-the-interview

Tina Doyle

Hi Ned - thanks for your answer.

The customer service module is really interesting.  However, I have so much more text to deal with than that!

I've added a picture of one of the slides, just to give you an idea.  There's a lot of information about the customer's background and what the customer adviser should do.

I really want to make this more interesting and disability-friendly that just large chunks of text.

Would be grateful for any suggestions - we use only Storyline at the moment.

Ned Whiteley

Hi Tina,

In the attached example I have given you a number of options that you might wish to consider. The first part includes text-to-speech (this could be replaced with real audio, if you wished). The next part is done using a scenario style and, finally , the third part (the questions layers) uses a set of possible questions in the form of a menu where the user selects a question to ask and then the appropriate question layer is shown.

In the final part I have also made use of changing poses for the Ms Takeda character dependent on which question she is answering, so that you can see how this makes the experience more immersive and less static for the user. Check out all of the questions to see the effect.

If you did decide to use this type of approach, you could easily add something at the start of the course to determine if your user was male or female and then select an appropriate gender Customer Service Advisor for them to role play. This would be easily done with variables. I would also recommend using pose changes for both characters, but that doesn't mean you have to change their pose every time they say something. You can also add text-to-speech or real audio to your scenario in conjunction with the speech bubbles so that what is "said" is also read out loud. This could be an option for people visually impaired, for example.

Hope this helps, but if you have any further queries, just get back to me.