Tracking

Jan 08, 2019

(See attachment)

I'm doing a quiz consisting of three categories. The categories have four questions each. I want the user to be able pick any category they want but I still want to make sure that each category is completed by the end of the course. (The user wont have to answer the questions correctly to complete a category)

When a category is completed the user gets sent back to the first slide (the one with three green boxes) so that the user can pick another category.

I'm looking for a solution where maybe a button appears on the "green box slide" when the user has completed all of the categories? Or is there a better solution?

Thanks! :)

6 Replies
David Tait

Hi Sofie,

You can certainly add a button to the first slide that appears when all of the categories have been completed.

You would do this with triggers and variables. If I was doing this, first I would add the button to the first slide and change its state to hidden.

Next I would create three True/False variables (initial value of False), named something like Category1, Category2 and Category3.

On the final slide of each category I would add a trigger that adjusts the corresponding variable to True when the timeline starts or the learner clicks the submit button.

Then on the first slide (with the green buttons) I would add another trigger that changes the state of the button we added at the beginning to Normal when the value of all three of my variables were equal to True.

I hope this helps but let me know if you need more info.

Sofie Hansson

Hi David,

Thank you, this sounds like a perfect solution! The button doesn't show up, but I haven't used true/false variables before so I'm sure that I just missed something. I followed your steps like this:

I added the button and changed the state to hidden (when timeline starts).
I created the variables with value False.
I added a trigger on the final slide of each category (Set "category1" equal to True when timeline starts).
I added a trigger on the first slide (change state of Button to Normal when timeline starts If category1 is equal to True and category2 is equal to True and category3 is equal to True).

Did I miss anything here?

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Sofie, 

Another good troubleshooting tip is to add the Variable references to that first slide so that you can confirm that they did change and that your trigger should execute. 

You may also want to play around with the slide property settings and set it to "reset to initial state" so that everything begins again.

As David mentioned, with your permission, we can always take a look at your project file to investigate what’s happening. You can upload for the community using the Add Attachment button. If you’d prefer to keep the file private, please share with me directly by uploading it here. I’ll delete it when I’m done troubleshooting.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.