Translating

Jan 03, 2019

It looks like translating courses in Rise or Storyline is pretty complicated.  the free web sites are difficult to navigate.  Am I correct?

5 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Carolyn! Translating a Rise course is a bit different from translating a Storyline course, so let's dive into the details of each tool.

• How to translate a Storyline courseyou'll first export the original course text. If you have a translation tool, you can export to XLIFF. If not, the easiest method is to export to a Word document. Then, you'll manually translate the text in the Word document, and import the document back into Storyline. 
  • How to translate a Rise course: you'll first make a duplicate copy of the course. Then, you'll export the text to an XLIFF file (there's no Word option). Then use a web app, computer program, or professional translation service to edit your XLIFF file. Once you have the newly translated file, you can import it back into the duplicate course. 

Let me know if you have any more questions about translation!

Carolyn Perron

thanks for the response. It's using the web app that is confusing. My
duplicated copy is a XLF - not XLIFF. Is that a problem? Also, the Rise
User Guide mentions a free app, SmartCat - which I logged on to and got the
message that the project is created. The message from SmartCat says that I
need to find a freelancer to translate. Is that true?

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Carolyn!

The XLIFF and XLF file types are interchangeable, so you shouldn't run into problems with the XLF file type. If you do, let us know here! We're happy to help. 

You shouldn't need a freelancer to translate your XLF file -- Smartcat should do that for you. If you need more direction, check out Smartcat's help center here: https://help.smartcat.ai/hc/en-us 

And for extra help, you can reach out to their support team here: https://help.smartcat.ai/hc/en-us/requests/new 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.