5 Replies
Bruce Graham

Hi Ilana.

I have found this happens frequently, and I have found no specific solution yet. It happens to me on Windows 7 and 8.

The only thing I can suggest is that you try saving the file with a new name using short Western characters - that worked for a while for me. I also found that exporting it to my Desktop worked more often.

I now always have to get a colleague to export for me, as it seems to fall over quite often.

I have raised this as a Bug with Articulate, but still something that I cannot get sorted, and have never been able to find a pattern to the behaviour.

Sorry I cannot be more positive.

Does this thread help at all - or this one?

Certainly the recommendation to close down other instances of MS-Word seems to help, but not always.

Bruce

ilana Dubovi

O.K

I have tried to deactivate my Storyline on computer with Windows 8 and to activate with my Serial Number on different computer with different Windows. But now I have a new problem - the serial number is invalid even though it correct.

Why it happened? What can I do? I attached picture

Anthony Fitzgerald

Hi guys,

I found a solution that fixed my problem which may help someone else.

I think it has something to do with a Clipboard problem.

This was the only solution I found that worked after days of searching the Net.

I know it seems weird to think it might have something to do with a web browser but just try the below steps.

I had pulled out all my hair with this issue, and thankfully its now gone.

By the way, everything was working fine on my older system Win7 with Office 2010, then I upgraded to Win8 64bit with Office 2013, and things seem to work ok then after a few weeks I ran into the Export problem with blank error message like everyone else.

1, Open Internet Explorer.

2. Click on the Tools menu. (If it's not shown press Alt first to see the Menus)

3. Select Internet Options.

4. Select the advanced tab on the Internet Options new window.

5. At the bottom of the window click on the Reset button in the Reset internet explorer settings.

6. I then checked the Delete personal settings box. (Don't know if it would make any difference. But it does also delete all cookies and a lot more).

7. Press the reset button.

8. It will then result in a new window, Reset Internet Explorer Settings with a green tick next to 4 sections. Press on the Close button.

9. A final window will appear saying For changes to take effect, you will need to restart Internet Explorer.

10. Press OK. Then Close your Explorer Window.

11. Restart your PC.

Exporting should now work perfectly in Articulate.