Trigger help

Jan 14, 2021

Hello,

I recreated a glossary activity that I found on this forum. I need some help with the right trigger. Currently, when the learner clicks on all of the yellow buttons, when he/she gets to W then the Exit layer will appear and the user may continue on the the next activity. This works great, however, what if the learner starts with W? I am not sure what to do here. I have attached the file. Thank you for your help!

3 Replies
Carolyn Kunz

Hi Shani,

First, I would not put the trigger to show the exit layer on the base, otherwise, the exit layer overrides the W definition. Instead,

1. Create a T/F variable called “Exit”, default F.
  2. Remove, “The Show Exit Trigger” on Button W.
  3. Add an object trigger, “Adjust variable Exit to T when the state of (select buttons) is Selected.”
  4. Add the following trigger to the Return button on each definition layer, “Show layer Exit, when the user clicks Button 1, if Exit equals to T. (Make this trigger first.)

Good Luck!

Carolyn Kunz

Sure,

The Exit T/F variable gives the learner flexibility to click on the letters in any order, such as picking W first. The object trigger, “Adjust variable Exit to T when the state of (select buttons) is Selected,” is what changes the Exit variable from false to true.

You have the Exit layer configured to “Hide other slide layers.” By putting the trigger “Show layer Exit, when the user clicks Button 1, if Exit equals to T,” on the button in the definition layers, the definition layer will remain visible until the learner is ready to move on.

When the learner clicks the button,
• If Exit = T, they see the Exit layer.
• If Exit = F, they see the glossary letters

Triggers work in operation or order. Putting the variable to "Show exit layer" first ensures the learner will see the Exit layer when Exit = T. Since the trigger is on all the layers, you do not need it on Button W.

Hope this helps. 😊