Triggers and Layers

Mar 02, 2016

Can't create triggers for layers; will not save after pressing OK.

7 Replies
Jeffrey H Harden

Hi,

I was trying to create a trigger for a new layer I had placed over the base layer (I'm new at this)...... by in Trigger Wizard selecting Hide Layer --> Layer Name --> User Clicks --> Previous Button....when I finished and clicked on OK it would not "save" and display the trigger....if I opened back up to create another it would be at default settings.

Jeffrey H Harden

I did work around by creating new slides and triggers on the base layer slide to take actions on the different objects on that one slide.....this works but I'm not sure which is the norm (creating layer over layer with triggers or just new slides with triggers on main layer to take certain actions on those slides.

Wendy Farmer

Hi Jeffrey

the default Prev and Next buttons are for the entire slide so trying to assign a trigger on a layer that uses the Prev / Next button you will notice the trigger doesn't sit on the layer it reverts to the base layer.

There are a few ways you can hide the layer:

1. Add a close button and use the trigger - hide layer this layer when the user clicks the close button
  2. Using the layer timeline - hide layer this layer when the timeline ends on the layer
  3. If you had audio or video on the layer - hide layer this layer when the media completes.

Depends on what objects you have on your layer and what your trying to achieve. 

Use the previous/next buttons  to navigate between slides not layers.

Also just to let you know when you reply via email all your details are listed in the post - you can come into the forum and edit your post to remove this info if you need to.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.