Triggers and states

Apr 23, 2015

I have four buttons on a slide.  I want to have the student click each one of the  buttons, visit the intended slides and then return to the original slide (and then click on the next button).  I have a trigger set up when all four are visited to advance to another scene.   The problem I have is that when I click the last button the slide advances to the next scene before visiting the intended slide.  Any ideas on how to ensure that all four are visited completely  before triggering to the next scene?

3 Replies
Patrick Gliem

Sharing the file would definitely help. It sounds like you may be able to modify the trigger to advance when "timeline starts" with the condition that all four buttons must be "visited." This should pause the advance until they visit again.

If this doesn't work, you can try having a variable assigned to each button. Instead of using "visited" states, you can use a true/false variable. So, when user clicks button 1, variable A is set to true. Then, jump to "advanced slide" when timeline starts on "current slide" and Variable A, B, C, and D all equal true.

It may also be a trigger order issue. If you have multiple triggers assigned to each button, make sure the trigger to go to the intended slide is first on each button. If the trigger to advance to the next scene is at the top, it will always try to do that first.

Greg Faust

To be clear, does your trigger look something like:

Jump to Slide 2.1 [or whatever scene it is]
When State
All of:

Button 1
Button 2
Button 3
Button 4

Is: Visited

?

Whatever the case may be, you need to set your "Jump to Slide..." trigger to activate at the correct time. When should that time be?

It sounds like each of the other four slides has some stuff the learner does, followed by a "Continue" button. This "Continue" button takes the learner back to the first slide (and rightly so, the first three times!). Again, is this correct?

Now, you COULD put the "Jump to Slide 2.1..." trigger on the initial slide-- that is, if you need the learner to return to the initial slide for some reason, you could put it there.

If, however, you want the learner to go *directly* from the fourth linked slide to the next scene, then you should put the trigger on the linked slides. Your "Continue" button (which normally takes the learner back to the initial slide) should have TWO "Jump to Slide..." triggers on it, with conditions. I can easily give details, but first-- does this sound anything like what you're doing, or am I just way off base with how you want this thing to work?

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.