triggers in storyline

Nov 17, 2013

This is complicated to explain though can anyone assist with setting up a trigger that will allow me to set the state of a button to hidden. The buttons initial state is hidden and I have set up a trigger to return it to normal at the end of the slides timeline. When clicked this button will bring in a layer.
On completion of the layer and return to the the main slide I want the button to be hidden.

I have tried a few methods though none have worked, yet these methods have worked on previous projects

6 Replies
Rutwin Geuverink

There are indeed many ways to do this. Usually if some methods won't work for you (anymore) it's often related to triggers that aren't set in the correct order, or some that are contradicting one and other.

Try one of the following triggers to make the button hidden after completion of the layer and return to main slide:

• Create a trigger that sets the button's state to hidden when the layer completes. (mind the order: first the state change, then the completion of the layer)
  • Create a variable that will change it's value to 1 when the layer's timeline starts and to 0 when the layer's timeline completes (depending on your setup; either when timeline ends...or when the user clicks a button to go back to the baselayer) --- "create a trigger that will change the state of the button to hidden with the condition that the variable's value is 0"

it looks more complicated than it is actually. If you cannot figure this out then please upload the .story file (just the slide+layer in question) and I will take a look at it.

Regards

Rutwin

Peter Tranter

Rutwin, thanks for your help. The trigger from that slide is working when previewing that slide and its layers only, though when previewing the scene the trigger in question is set to advance to a new slide and when that new slide and its layers are finished they return to this slide which is a menu slide and when this happens the trigger in question remains in the normal state rather than the hidden state.

(Leslie, you may have some ideas???)

Any suggestions appreciated. 

Regards Peter

Rutwin Geuverink

Hi Peter,

I would love to help you Peter, but then I'll need to see the .story file. (most likely the issue is quite quickly detected and fixed) 

A good starting point to better understand triggers, variables and conditions would be the tutorials provided by Articulate:

States, Triggers, and Layers:  http://community.articulate.com/tutorials/products/working-with-states-triggers-and-layers.aspx

Variables: http://community.articulate.com/tutorials/products/working-with-variables.aspx

Besides these tutorials, it would be generally good practice to:

-logically organize all the triggers in your project. 

-1st trigger-->test-->2nd trigger-->test-->3rd trigger-->test...and so forth. 

-try to follow/visualize the logic of your triggers (which ones are linked to a single action-process?)

Also be aware that each slide and layer can be set to reset to initial state or resume when revisited. (This setting will directly affect the states on a slide/layer, so please check this setting for all your slides/layers)

Hope you can work it out, and if not then your best bet is to upload the .story file so others can take a look at it for you

Kind Regards,

Rutwin

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.