Triggers not working

Sep 17, 2015

When I originally set up the triggers on my main navigation slide they were working in preview mode but I noticed that I had selected the object instead of the group so my hand icon was disappearing over the text in the box.

I went in and edited the trigger to be the group instead of the rectangle and now they are not working in preview mode. I have not published it yet.

I thought maybe that slide got corrupted so I imported the slide again from my original PPT and set the triggers to the group and they are still not working. 

Could someone advise?

9 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Laura,

I'd agree with Wendy, it'll be easier if we're able to take a look at the .story file to see how it behaves. In regards to the corruption, I did want to mention that if you think you've run into an element of corruption you'll want to ensure you're following the general guidelines below to prevent corruption. Common causes are environmental (disk errors, power outages, improper shutdowns), viruses, failed Windows updates, and even file size (i.e., very large files have a higher risk of corrupting).

Consider these preventative measures to protect your project files:

1) Save and publish projects on your local hard drive. Working on a network drive or external USB drive can cause erratic behavior.

2) Save incrementally. If your app has an AutoRecovery feature, take advantage of it. If not, save a new version of your project every hour or so with a new file name each time. If a file becomes corrupt, you'll still have a working version available.

3) Install Dropbox. Snapshots of changes in your local Dropbox folder are kept for 30 days. If a file is damaged or deleted, you can restore a previous snapshot: https://www.dropbox.com/help/11/en.

4) Don't leave the app open and unattended for long periods of time. Some users have reported file corruption after leaving their apps open overnight. It's possible that a malware scan or disk backup could run because the machine is idle, making your app vulnerable to crashing.
Walt Hamilton

Something about grouping after attaching a trigger to an object (and maybe attaching a trigger to an group) does funny things. I can only get it to work by placing the different objects while editing states.

I worked on button 1.

I ungrouped it, then I copied the two text boxes.

I selected the rectangle, and clicked on edit states.

I pasted the text boxes, and ended the edit.

I moved the original text boxes, so as not to cause confusion.

Now the boxes and the rectangle are considered one object, and the trigger works.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.