Trouble uploading a video into StoryLine 360

May 06, 2019

Hello, I am attempting to upload a video into StoryLine 360 but keep receiving a message stating this is an "unsupported video type".  I have uploaded numerous videos of the same type (.mp4) but am now receiving this message.  Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

5 Replies
Mike DiFonzo

Are you sure it's not an .mv4? I had one last week where it was listed as an .mp4 file type but the file extension was actually listed as .mv4. It was recorded using some sort of Apple product. I had to convert it.

Did anyone manually change the file extension to .mp4 when it's really a different file type?

Alyssa Gomez

Hi, JP!

When you right-click the file and select Properties, do you see MP4 file type listed there?

If you don't mind sending us a copy of that MP4 file, we'll try and import it into Storyline from our end. We'll delete it as soon as we're done troubleshooting.

If that works for you, you can upload your file privately to our support team here!

Jose Tansengco

Hi Adeline, 

Are you adding your videos to your Storyline 360 course from a local directory? Or are your videos currently hosted in a network drive? If your videos are hosted on a network drive, try moving them to a local directory to see if this helps. Working on a network drive has been known to cause issues with project files

If your video files are already saved locally, you can try re-encoding your videos using a free tool called Handbrake to see if this helps. You can download the application here, and here's a helpful guide on how to use it. 

If you feel more comfortable having us take a look at your video files instead, you can reach out to your support team here for further assistance.