Trouble with variables

Jun 16, 2017

I am having trouble with triggers and variables. 

My Slide 1 has two buttons. Button A and Button B, each button with a custom visited state (a green tick).

Clicking on Button A opens Slides 2 and 3.

Clicking on Button B opens Slides 4 and 5. 

I want to use triggers so that when the user clicks on Button A AND has gone through each of the slides 2 and 3, only then the Button A changes to its visited state with a tick. Same for Button B. 

But I am unable to find a way to do this. I don't understand triggers at all, especially when it comes to adding variables. Please help. I would really appreciate step by step guidelines.

1 Reply
Crystal Horn

Hello Rida!

I bet you're very close to getting it to work the way you need to.  Let me give you a hand.

I think this is what you're going for.

Using variables is a great way to keep track of visiting slides so that you can trigger changes anywhere in the course based on what the learner has been doing.

In this scenario, it makes sense to have a true/false variable for each of the content slides (2, 3, 4 and 5) to track if they've been visited.  

• Make a trigger to adjust each slide's respective variable when the timeline starts on that slide.  And to save steps, you can create the variable while making the trigger!
  • You'll have a total of 4 new variables, with a trigger on each of those slides to adjust the variable.

If you're using buttons on the main slide, delete the pre-built Visited state.  It will fire as soon as you click the button, and that's not what you want.

• Create a new state, and call it something other than Visited (e.g. Complete).  Add your tick mark to this state.
  • Create a trigger on the main slide to change the state of your button to Complete with conditions:  If the value of slide 2 variable is True, AND if the value of slide 3 variable is True.

Triggers work best when they are attached to a specific action, and in this case, I think you'll want to trigger the state change when the timeline starts on your first slide.

Have a look at the attached file, and see if that makes sense for you.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.