Unable to open Storyline file

Dec 13, 2018

I have been working in Storyline 360 for over a year now.  I received an error on one of my files saying "this project is invalid or corrupt and cannot be opened. It may have been created in an earlier version of storyline."   I've attached a screenshot of the error and also a copy of the storyline file that will not open.  We have tried opening from explorer and also from within storyline 360.  Please help.

3 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Uh oh, Linda! That's never a good message to see. There may still be a working version of your project in your temp files. Here's a quick Peek at how to find them:

Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline

1. Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop.
  2. Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story.
  3. Double-click the file to open it in Storyline. 

File corruption can happen, even in the best software, and even if you’re following all the recommended best practices. To be ready if it happens, follow these tips

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.