Variable problem

I've spent the better part of two days trying to work through my first attempt using variables.  Generally, everything I've done makes sense but I cannot get this to work.  In the section on generations, I have five items I want users to click on before being directed to a summary.  First I set up variables for each of the five and set them to "false".  Second, I created a trigger to switch the variable to "true" after the item was clicked.  Finally, I created a trigger so that if each of the five were true that the presentation would move on to the summary.

The only thing that is not making sense is in the trigger wizard for the final step where I need to assign an "object".  The "objects" I'm given as choices are the variables covered as conditions.  I'm not sure why Storyline needs one of the same variables I've already indicated need to be true.

Does that make sense?

 

9 Replies
Michael Hinze

Have a look at the attached file (here is the published version: http://dev.keypointlearn.com/xcl71_SL/SevenTopics/) and see if that gives you any ideas. This example has a menu slide wit seven items. When all are clicked a message is displayed that allows users to advance to a summary slide.

Helen Tyson

Hi Eric

I guess you are using 'When Variable Changes' to control the action. This will only work against one of the variables at a time, so you need to know what order the user will click the items amd put the trigger against the last one. Alternatively create a separate trigger for each object that has all the others referenced in the conditions, such as:

  • Jump to next slide when variable 5 changes, if variable 1 is true and variable 2 is true and variable 3 is true and variable 4 is true
  • Jump to next slide when variable 4 changes, if variable 1 is true and variable 2 is true and variable 3 is true and variable 5 is true
  • Jump to next slide when variable 3 changes, if variable 1 is true and variable 2 is true and variable 4 is true and variable 5 is true

etc

Helen

Eric Vogel

Thanks everybody!  I spent the weekend "rejiggering" my course.   I did ultimately go with variables as opposed to states though states did seem to be easier.  It's just that I was working several possibilities simultaneously and this is what worked first.  Whew!  Going in to the week feeling much better.