Variable reference shows in preview but not when published

Nov 28, 2016

I created a text variable in Storyline (Articulate 360) and then added a textbox to a slide and inserted a reference to the variable in the textbox.  The value of the variable shows up in the textbox when I preview the slide but not when I publish it for the web.  Any ideas as to why?

5 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Steve,

Are you adjusting the value of the variable through a user entering text or are you telling Storyline the value of the variable as a part of a trigger or setting the value at the beginning? Are you testing the published output locally or have you upload to a web server or Articulate Review to see it? We always recommend testing the published output by uploading to the intended environment as testing it locally can cause unintended behaviors. 

If you're still having difficulty are you able to share a copy of your .story file? Even just the few slides in question would help us have a better understanding of the set up and offer some other ideas/solutions on what may be happening. You can attach it to the bottom of the forum discussing using the "Add Attachment" button below the reply window. 

Steve Shoemaker

Long story. In the end I was simply assigning the value to the variable when I created it. No triggers or Javascript. I'm opening the course locally in Firefox. I'll check it in Review to see if I get a different result.

I was originally trying to learn how to change variables via Javascript. When I wasn't seeing anything on the webpage I thought I was writing the Javascript incorrectly in the trigger. Then I decided to just assign a value to the variable and still nothing was displayed when I published the course, although it did show up in Preview.

Steve Shoemaker

Thanks for your reply.  I've edited my last reply to remove the signature.  I don't mind if people know where I work but it does take up a lot of room!

The issue I'm reporting doesn't seem to be related to Javascript.  That's how I discovered the problem but then I tested it by assigning a value to the variable and removing the Javascript trigger and I still couldn't see the variable displayed in the textbox when I published the course.  There's really nothing to the "course."  I was trying to test using Javascript to change a variable when this all started so it's just a variable and a textbox to display the value of the variable via a reference to the variable.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.