Variable values updating in a SCORM 2004 LMS

Jul 06, 2017

Hi.

From my research through storyline discussions, Ive concluded that variable data does indeed get saved to suspend data field in SCORM (not human readable though).

One issue that Im facing however is that variable values are not saved to suspend data field as theyre being changed within a slide. They're only being saved when i move from one slide to another.

For example, say in slide1 i have variable1 that im incrementing in value using a button. Say after some clicks the value of variable1 is 5. If I just exit the course by closing the tab and go back in, the value is reset to 0. However if I increment the value to 5, go to another slide, exit the course, launch it again and go back to slide1, the value is restored as 5.

Is it possible to save this variable value to suspend data while youre in the same slide?

Thanks!

3 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hello Varun and welcome to E-Learning Heroes :)

The way suspend data works is related to a user completing a slide.

As a learner makes his way through a course, a compressed chunk of suspend data is sent to the LMS after each slide. Complete article here.

I'm not sure if there is a way to manipulate this data or change the behavior, but I'll leave that to your savvy community colleagues.

Varun Prabhu

Hi Leslie. Thanks for that reply. I figured I could save the data I needed in another field called cmi.location in SCORM 2004. I perused through the storyline published files and in SCORM2004Functions.js, I found functions called SCORM2004_GetBookmark() and SCORM2004_SetBookmark() which can be used to get and set value of that data field. Hope this info proves useful to others too.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.