Variables and conditions

Jul 30, 2016

How do I use variables and conditions in my eLearning projects?

Im trying to allow the student to by pass a section if they pass a quiz.

5 Replies
Walt Hamilton

The important thing to remember about variables is that SL is like someone with really bad memory; it can only remember what it can see. Variables are just a way to write notes so it can remember things later on. Whenever it looks at the note, it can tell that something happened earlier. For example: LookedAtLayer2 is True means that the user looked at layer 2.

Triggers always do what they are supposed to do.... unless someone comes along and tells them to do it only if certain conditions are met.

Example: Dad is eating supper with the kid and Mom has gone to get ice cream. Trigger for kid is "Eat ice cream when Mom gets home IF you have eaten your veggies. Since Dad has to leave, he leaves Mom a note: "Kid has eaten veggies", and he leaves. A few minutes later, Mom comes in and says: I told you "Eat ice cream when Mom returns IF it is True you have eaten your veggies." Kid shows Mom note from Dad (to prove he didn't just dump them), and Mom lets him eat ice cream. Kid is SL object, command to eat is trigger, note is variable, and IF you have eaten ice cream is condition.

They work together. The variable helps SL remember something, especially something that happened at some other place or time. Conditions allow SL to come to a decision point and choose different actions depending of what has happened at some other place or time.

Rachael  Knapp
Urica Floyd

That is a multilayered process and difficult to explain unless you are already familiar with variables. The best place to start is to learn how to work with variables first. Tutorial here

Hi!!

It seems this tutorial could help and assist me thru making n creating SL..I try to figure it out.

Thanks.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Financial Adsvisor

Christie Pollick

Hi, Jessica -- I see that lots of great information and feedback has been shared here to assist with your question! I thought I might also stop in to share the following variable-related resources in case you would like to take a look:

Hope that helps! :)

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.