Variables corrupted in SCORM 2004 course?

Jan 31, 2019

Hey! I'm seeing an occasional issue with a course I built where variables are having random values assigned to them, and I'm wondering if anyone else has seen anything similar. It's bizarre, and I'm hoping its strangeness garners some attention. 

Some context for the course:

• Built in Storyline 3
  • Exported as HTML5 only
  • SCORM 2004 v4
  • Hosted in Absorb LMS

It's a larger, fairly complex course. In testing, everything worked as intended, but as more and more users are taking the course, we are starting to see strange behaviour, random and limited but consistent. It seems to happen when the course is resumed after a session is closed.

I have a numeric variable for progress tracking (which can only ever be 0 or assigned integer values 1 through 7 via triggers - no adding or subtracting) which is sometimes assigned a value of -1. We've been through the course with a fine-toothed comb and there's nothing that can assign it this value.

I have a Boolean variable (which can only be modified on a single slide) getting flipped from FALSE to TRUE when the aforementioned slide is never viewed. It's getting changed without that slide being viewed.

I have a text variable which is only modified through a single text field on a hidden layer that is getting assigned a value of 1. Just... 1. No triggers change the value to anything resembling this. It's just getting assigned a random value.

Has anyone else experienced this? How can this happen, when no triggers are changing the value of the variable? 

Also: is there a way to force the variable values to be saved in the LMS more frequently/reliably, through Javascript triggers? Like more frequent LMScommit() calls or something?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have!

Trevor

1 Reply
Leslie McKerchie

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for reaching out to share what you are experiencing in your course. That does sound odd, yet not familiar to me.

How do you have the resume behavior set for your course? Are you able to recreate this issue in SCORM Cloud or is it only within your LMS?

With your permission, I'd like you to share your project file with our support engineers to investigate what's happening. You can share it privately by uploading it here. It will be deleted when troubleshooting is complete.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.