Video

May 01, 2013

I have inserted a video in Storyline and it does not play correctly. It plays fine when i use another software to play it, but when I publish in storyline. The audio and video start out fine, when the music disappears and it switches to a commentator, the audio quality diminishs to inaudible. It is an FLV file. Any ideas?

18 Replies
Peter Anderson

Hi Laura, 

How are you inserting the video

You'll also want to be sure you're following some basic rules to prevent strange behavior:

• Work on your local drive (your C: drive). Working on a network drive or a USB drive can cause erratic behavior, including file corruption, loss of audio, and other unexpected behavior. 
  • You should also make sure the directory path to your project files and your published output is less than 260 characters (for example C:\Articulate).
  • Avoid using special characters, accents or symbols in your file names.

Any chance you can share the .story file? 

Thanks!

Peter Anderson

Thanks for sharing the file, Laura. 

I'm getting the same behavior as you. Even after Storyline converts it to MP4 after publishing, I'm still not hearing the narration. 

Any chance you can try converting the original file to MP4 and re-inserting that on the slide?

Otherwise, we'd be happy to take a closer look at it. Can you please go ahead and open a ticket with our support team, including the .story file, so they can take a closer look at what's going on?

Thanks! 

Jessica Keating

I am having a similar problem - 

I have a story file where i want to embed several .mp4 videos (not on the same slide). The first video i inserted plays perfectly. Every single other video only plays audio. The video remains as a black box.  All of the videos (including the one that works) are stored in the same folder, are from the same source, are the same relative size and all are .mp4. all play perfectly fine outside of storyline.

here is what ive tried

1. restarting my computer

2. updating storyline

3. shortening the file name for the video

4. moving the video straight to my desktop

5. publishing the file as a exe and previewing it (only the first video works correctly)

any input/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Christine Hendrickson

Hi there Jessica,

Sorry to hear about that trouble. Thank you very much for an excellent description of what'a happening.

Just curious - have you tried inserting any of the videos that aren't working into a new, blank project file? Does the same thing happen?

Also, can you tell me what steps you've taken to add the videos to your slide? Are you inserting video from file or using another option?

If you still have trouble, you're certainly welcome to share your .STORY file here. I'd be happy to take a look at what's happening. 

Thanks!

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Jessica,

What version of Flash do you have installed? To find out, take a look at the following Adobe page:

Find Version | Flash Player - Adobe

If the file is too large, it may not upload to the forums. You could try using Dropbox, if you'd like, and share the download link here. 

Also - where were these videos originally created? If you have access to Replay, and the videos aren't too long, you could try recording them and publishing a new MP4 file. Then try reinserting into Storyline. To test, you could even record a small section if the videos are too long in full length to try this, just to confirm. 

Thanks!

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Jessica,

Thank you very much for the file!

Just in case, you'd like it - you can actually get Replay for free, if you have an existing Storyline license. Here's how.

It's a pretty awesome new product, so I thought you might want to check it out.

I took a look at the file and I believe I'm seeing what you described. However, the first thing that I noticed was that all three videos displayed as a black box in the slides. Even the first video appeared this way before I played it from within the slide. Now that I've played it, I see the blue and gray in the thumbnail for the slide. However, this did not work for the second and third videos. 

I do hear the audio when playing from within the slide and when previewing, but no video. 

I'm wondering if it would help to convert or record those videos again outside of Storyline. 

Are you able to share the video file for either EDM.MP4 or Enforcement.MP4? I'd e happy to see if I can get them working within the project. If I can, then I can walk you through the process of doing the same on your end. 

Thanks!

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Jessica,

I took a look at your file and was having some difficulties inserting it into a new Storyline file. So, using a tool such as Handbrake I converted it from an mp4 to an mp4 as it seemed that maybe the codec it was created with was not one supported in Storyline. You can view the published version here to test and verify that it plays for you as well: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104380578/Forums/29807/Untitled1%20output/story.html

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.