Video aspect ratio changes when added to Storyline360

Sep 27, 2019

I have trouble adding video files (mp4) to a storyline production. The videos are recorded with an iPhone, standing format, and every time I add the file the aspect ratio changes and the video is "compressed". I have tried copying an already existing video with the correct format to the slide and simply exchange the video but it still changes the format when uploading the new video file.

What am I doing wrong? Can anyone work me through the process?

2 Replies
Brian Cajutol

Hi Sara,

Good day. I hope this ache is not getting you down.

I believe the default aspect ratio is 4:3. I was able to reproduce this by importing a video that is 4096 × 2160 px (Aspect Ratio: 1.9:1). Storyline 360 imported it to only have 720 x 380 (4:3).

I believe this has something to do with the Story Size and its aspect ratio. If you go under Design in the ribbon, then to Story Size Setup, you would see the default is set to Aspect ratio 4:3. When importing a video under this setting, it will force it to have 4:3 aspect ratio.

If you change the Story Size, say, to maximum (2047x2047), the aspect ratio of the imported video changes as well. This time around the imported video has a resolution of 2048x1080, which is 1.90:1. Albeit smaller in dimensions, it is still the same Aspect Ratio.

If you really need to maintain the same aspect ratio, I suggest modifying the Story Size until you get the import aspect ratio to your liking.

Another way to change the imported video's dimensions (size) is through the Options under Video Tools. You can adjust either the Height or Width. it will allow you to increase the size of the video to exceed the Story Line size. BUT it will ALWAYS maintain the same aspect ratio.

Please let me know if this helps!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.