Video Controls

Aug 22, 2017

Hi. Is is possible to turn on the video controls (play, pause and seek within the video) and not have the option to download the video? Thanks!

5 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Rachel,

The option to download the video may be coming from the browser or where you've hosted the video. 

The options you can enable from Storyline for the video controls are here.  

If that doesn't match what you're seeing, or you're still having a difficult time with the set up could you share a screenshot with us here? 

Rachel Fredell

Hi Ashley,

So it certainly doesn't seem to be an issue with the LMS. With some testing I have found that if I choose to not have the controls below the video, you are not able to download the video. The issue persists, however, when I choose the option to open the video in another window. The window that opens has the option to download the video. We want the video to be opened in another window so that the learner can watch and rewatch the video when going through the course. It is important that learners cannot download the video because these are actual speech therapy sessions. The parents have agreed to have the videos available for educational purposes, but not to allow learners to download and have continued access to the videos. 

Please let me know if there is a way to have the video open in another window without being available for download. 

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Rachel,

How have you inserted the video file into your course? If you're allowing the user to open the file in a new window, that window is outside Storyline's control and it'll be up to the browser to lock down the video from not being downloaded.

What about instead, keeping the video on the slide and using a hotspot over the buttons so that the users can't click on the download option?

Rachel Fredell

Hi Ashley. Thanks for your reply. I inserted the video in the course normally using the menu bar and then had the option to open the video in another window. When the video is in the slide video controls are not turned on, they cannot download it, so that is not the issue. I didn't realize that once that was in another window it was outside of Articulate's control and, from what support on the LMS side has told me, it is not in their control either. I may just need to get creative on how it is uploaded into the LMS, Uploading it as a separate SCORM rather than part of the course package. Thanks for clarifying, I will keep searching for solutions!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.