Video editing

Jun 15, 2018

Hi there,

I am having trouble editing videos in Storyline 3 lately. After I edit the videos the changes can't be saved. However I can upload them and apply any changes normally. I have no idea why it does that.

16 Replies
Katie Riggio

Hi, Mona. Really sorry you're seeing that error message – I'm here to help!

A few questions to start:

• What version of Storyline 3 are you using? ( Simply go to Help > About Articulate Storyline)

If you can share one of those video files with me here by using the Add Attachment button in your reply, I'm happy to test it out on my end. I'll be standing by!

Mona Idemudia

Hi Katie

the .story file and video are both saved locally on my computer. In general I only work with files I have saved on my computer's hard drive. The error occurs with a bunch of videos but not every video. I started cutting my videos with an online based freeware now but it is inconvenient. I can't tell why it causes Storyline to have issues with some files and what is wrong with the files.

Regards

Mona

Katie Riggio

Thanks for working through this puzzle with us, Mona! Like my teammate, Leslie, I was able to import your .mp4 and successfully save all the edits on the latest version of Storyline 3.

Here's a quick Peek to show you my quirky edits – cropping, trimming, adjusting the brightness, you name it!

I'd like to get our Support Engineers' opinion on this and have created a case on your behalf with both of our notes attached. Someone from the team will be in touch shortly, and I'll be sure to also keep this discussion updated. Leslie and I are itching to know what's causing this!

Jamie Wenzel

Did you ever get an answer to this problem?  I am having the same problem and wondering if it is the encoding I am using when publishing the video in my video editing software.  Maybe Articulate needs videos to be encoded a certain way in order to edit them within the software.  If so, I would love to know which encoding to use so that I can make edits without exporting to my video editing software and re-uploading.  

Katie Riggio

Hi there, Jamie. So sorry you're hitting this video encoding snag, too. 

I took a peek at Mona's case where my teammate, Anna, re-encoded the video and asked for the system log files to see if we can nail down the root of this oddity. While I don't have a solution to share at this time, we're happy to keep digging!

Here's how videos are encoded in Storyline–and to start us off, what version of Storyline are you using? And if you're able to share the video file with me here, I'd love to try to replicate the behavior. Need to send it privately? No sweat, here's where!

Jamie Wenzel

I am using SL360 the latest version and not working off a network drive.  I have tested this on several computers, in several projects, and with several videos.  I always receive an encoding error when trying to edit an MP4 in SL360 upon saving the changes.  It doesn’t matter what computer or video I use.  It has actually been like this since I started using Articulate 360 back in March.  I just grabbed a music video off the internet and put it in a blank presentation.  See attached .story file.  If I try to do any edits to this video at all, I cannot save the changes.  

Katie Riggio

Appreciate you sharing your .story file with me, Jamie!

First, thanks for confirming you're working locally! 🌟I was able to successfully save all the edits made on your .mp4 file as well using Storyline 360 (version 3.18.16333.0)–here's a Peek of what I saw.

Since everything checks out there, give these troubleshooting steps a try. Let us know if that doesn't help– as we'll be standing by, ready to keep digging to find the culprit here!

Jamie Wenzel

I have received these trouble shooting steps several times before, so I understand that is your standard response to all issues that you cannot explain.  Unfortunately, my company doesn't allow access to turn off UAC or view any windows settings.  I also am not allowed to uninstall and reinstall Articulate without several security overrides.  I am seeking permission for the security overrides, and I will let you know when the steps have been completed, but it may take awhile.  They don't give security permissions away very often here.  I think all of the security measures we have in place here may be part of the cause, but I would need more information on Storyline 360 system requirements to be sure.  Can you possibly provide more information on why turning off UAC would help and why the .net framework check mark is necessary?  I am not sure they will allow permissions without actual proof on why it is needed.    

Katie Riggio

Hey, Jamie. I really appreciate you sharing that honest insight, and thank you for continuing to work through this roadblock with us. (Thank you as well, Mona!)

From my understanding, we recommend that UAC (User Account Control) is disabled during an install to avoid any permission issues. We definitely don't want you and your team jumping through hoops if we can avoid it, so I'll connect you with our Support Engineers to see if there's anything else we can recommend. I'll follow along and will certainly keep this discussion updated!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.