Video error

Dec 05, 2016

Hi there, first time poster, long time lurker.. :)

I am working on a presentation to train leaders on how to use WebEx effectively. Where possible I've uploaded Cisco training YouTube videos as a web object, however none existed for the breakout room capability so I had to create my own.

I used the storyline record screen option and recorded about a 5-6 minute video using audio demonstrating breakouts with a couple of my co-workers. After I closed the video, I selected video on one slide and to insert it into a new scene.

Then I waited, and waited. All my scenes then turned to the number 0 and nothing was inserting into the presentation. Realizing that there could be an error, I tried saving to close it and then reopen it but then I got a message that I couldn't save it. This is when I press save or save as.. I attached a screen shot of the error.

I tried speaking with a few elearning experts at my place of work and they hadn't seen this error before so I closed it hoping that the video would be recovered through an autosave. When I reopened it, it didn't save and the video isn't coming up in my record screen videos. I checked out my temp files but I can't see anything that I can identify as a story file.

I have accepted the fact that I will have to do the demonstration again but I don't want to encounter the same error before I do that. Has anybody seen this or have any suggestions to fix this problem.

Thank you, Christa

3 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Christa, so sorry to hear that happened to you. I know that's frustrating. Thanks for including the screenshot of the error message here - this is not an error I've seen before. Are you working from your local hard drive? Also, do you know if you have Storyline 2's autosave feature enabled?  Here's a quick walk-thru of the autosave feature. I realize it may not help you recover lost work in this instance, but hopefully it'll save you some agony in the future.

Christa Cole

Hi Alyssa, Thanks for your reply.

I am working from my local hard drive and I do have auto save set to save every 10 minutes. I had the program open for 3 hours while I consulted co-workers since I didn't want to lose my work before I closed it to find its lost.

One thing I considered was maybe the size of the video. Is there any restrictions or best practices about length? It was my first video using audio as well. I tested this on Friday before today's demo with my co-workers and it worked fine, but I didn't test up to 6 minutes.

Thanks again - Christa

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there, 

There is a time limit of two hours for a screen recording. It's important to note that the longer the screen recording, the more memory it uses, and the potential for other things to run slower. However, a six minute recording certainly shouldn't cause you any issues. 

It sounds like the file became corrupt, and that's what caused the error. File corruption is unpredictable, and there's no straightforward way to determine what causes it. Common causes are environmental (disk errors, power outages, improper shutdowns), viruses, failed Windows updates, and even file size (i.e., very large files have a higher risk of corrupting). 

Aside from saving/publishing to your local hard drive and saving incrementally with the AutoRecovery feature which you are already doing, you may want to consider these preventative measures to further protect your project files: 

1. Install Dropbox. Snapshots of changes in your local Dropbox folder are kept for 30 days. If a file is damaged or deleted, you can restore a previous snapshot: https://www.dropbox.com/help/11/en
  2. Don't leave the app open and unattended for long periods of time. Some users have reported file corruption after leaving their apps open overnight. It's possible that a malware scan or disk backup could run because the machine is idle, making your app vulnerable to crashing

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.